時をかける少女: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 8 and 9)

That sounds like it’d hurt much more on impact D:

4 Likes

よほど=just about to
So I think she was just on the verge of deciding whether or not to say “It’s your fault” but realised she had bigger issues to think about.

3 Likes

Right so upon closer reading, I do have a few nuance questions:

Tsubasa p51:
でも、わたしだけそんな力があるなんて、いやだわ。
I get the general gist of it, she’s essentially saying that she doesn’t want to be the only one having/being affected by this power.
What I’m struggling with is the に particle. My guess is that it’s there to signify the affected by, rather than a conscious action by her, but I’m not too sure.

Tsubasa p53
とけいを見て、まだまにあいそうだ知ると、和子はいそいでしたくをし、昼食もそこそこに、家をとび出した。
I understand this sentence just fine, but I honestly do not know what the part in bold is doing. I feel like I’m just not looking at it the right way, but the したくをし is really tripping me up. I just wonder what the grammar behind this is.

I’ll probably have a few more questions when I tackle chapter 9 again in a bit as well, so thank you already for being so smart and helping out.

2 Likes

に is used because it’s… where? … the 力がある。Because in Japanese the structure is less “I have a power” and “a power exists in my possession”

The したく is 支度 which I think will clear things up for ya

4 Likes

That makes perfect sense now, thank you!

I knew I was looking at it wrong! I’m such an idiot :joy::joy: words that I learnt strictly as kanji and haven’t encountered a lot in just kana still trip me up :sweat_smile:

Thanks for that, helped heaps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Relevant poll here:

3 Likes

Just in time for the next thread :confetti_ball: Thanks in advance (there’s quite a few…)
Kadokawa Page 44
いつのまにやってきたのか、和子のうしろに深町一夫も立っていて、静かにそういった。
I saw いつのまにか a bit ago and learnt that it meant “before one knows it”. Can you put any verb between に and か here? To me, from context, the first bit means “Before Kazuko knew Kazuo and come”. Is that right?

Page 45
和子は吾朗の混乱を、笑う気にはならなかった。
“Kazuko didn’t feel like laughing at Gorou’s confusion”? Not really getting anywhere with this one

Got it spot on :3

Page 48
…かの女に不番の目を投げかけて通り過ぎて行くことだった。
How did everyone interpret this? I think it’s something like “innumerable” gazes

Page 50
真理子の姿が見えなくなってから、和子は小さく地だんだをふんだ。
I assume that it’s something like kicking the ground but I don’t get the だんだ

My comment on the end of chapter: ouchy ouchy ouch that sounded like it’s hurt. I was expecting something like, Kazuko proves she went back in time because of the the fire and earthquake, Kazuko wakes up the next morning, goes to school all safe, “where’s Gorou…? Oh–” , precedes to run out of school to the crossing, is on other side of where Gorou is, lights turn green, Gorou runs, Kazuko be like “Noo, Gorouuuuuuuu”, truck be like “vrooooooom”, Gorou be like “:ghost:”, Kazuko be like “:scream:

Thanks to @QuackingShoe for explaining がみ箱がわりのドラムかん.

3 Likes

A little more info:

You probably know the pattern 「AはBがある」, A has B.
However, the basic pattern is really「AにBがある」.

It just so happens that when (something)に becomes the topic (something)には, に becomes optional.
That means that「AにはBがある」can become「AはBがある」.

This is different from when (something)が or (something)を become the topic (something)は because が and を always drop.

AはBにある
is (usually) the same as
AがBにある where A is the topic

AはBがある
is (usually) the same as
AにBがある where A is the topic

As you can see, the meaning of は is heavily dependent on context :grin:

6 Likes

不審 = suspicious

地団駄を踏む = to stamp one’s feet (in frustration, impatience, etc.)

4 Likes

Thank you!~ Classic case of selective reading on that first one >.<

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s really interesting! I’ve never ever read or heard anything about that and that slightly concerns me. But it’s a good connection to understand.

Thank you for that, learn something new every day I guess :wink:

2 Likes

I originally thought the truck crashed into the storefront, so was that not the case then? I also assumed that the middle aged man got injured from the truck crashing into the storefront, but was that just from the broken glass then? Or perhaps the woman crashed into him?

Mostly double checking because @QuackingShoe said “You guys are on track with everything” shortly after you posted and I wasn’t sure if your thoughts were included in that.

4 Likes

No, you’re right. Sorry, I missed that part - I was reading through pretty quickly and was actually expecting a different part to be wrong - and it wasn’t - so I ended up glossing over that bit.

3 Likes

Phew, thank you! I feel better now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Some additional questions about chapter 9.

Page 54:
教室で彼女の隣の席にかけることの多い神谷真理子がやってきた。

What’s the 多い here? 真理子 frequently sits next to 和子?

Page 56:
かれは和子の前に立っと鼻息を荒くしながらいった。

What is 立っと?

トラックは五郎の目の前を通り過ぎ、不格好に車体を震わせ、激しい勢いで歩道に飛び上がった。

So I get that the truck jumped up onto the sidewalk after passing before Gorou’s eyes. But what is the middle part specifically saying?

1 Like

Originally it would be かけることが多い, but since in modifying clauses が can usually be replaced with の that’s the language magic that happened there. It just means 真理子 seats a lot beside her.

Are you sure it’s not 立つと?

4 Likes

Yes. Her かけることの(が)多い

It’s 立つと. He just did the one thing and then the other.

That the chassis is quaking uncomfortably

@sigolino !!!
shakes fist

4 Likes

I admit I rushed to finish before you when I saw you typing :joy: Didn’t even finish though

4 Likes

I’m happy to say this is the silliest rivalry I’ve ever been a part of.

4 Likes

:joy: Thanks

(I think I subconsciously wanted it to be 立って…)

2 Likes