時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome! It’s never too late to start!

2 Likes

You can still ask any questions in the threads dedicated to each chapter - a lot of us still have every thread set to ‘watching’

6 Likes

As promised, here is a poll to decide whether or not we’ll speed up again. If at least two thirds of (relevant) voters want to speed up, that’s what we’ll do. Since I’m creating this poll a bit later than expected, I’m only going to keep it open for a few days.

• Continue pace of two chapters a week for the rest of the book
  • Switch to pace of three chapters a week starting in week 8 (January 12th)
  • Either pace is fine
  • I’m not reading the book but like to click polls

0 voters

2 Likes

I’d kinda like to speed up, but I’m concerned about people who are already lagging a bit behind.

5 Likes

I have the same concern. And personally, I’m already pushing the limits of what I can squeeze into a single week between this, Aria, WaniKani, and grammar studies.

5 Likes

Yep, same concerns here. At the start of the week, the poll often shows 1/3 of participants lagging behind…
(and sometimes I’m even among them o_O )

2 Likes

Similar issue here. At the moment, doing two chapters fits ‘comfortably’ (read: I just neglect something else instead), but I’m just worried I’m gonna struggle to keep up, especially on busy weeks.
Also, as people have mentioned, there’s quite a lot of us not caught up at the beginning of each week.

2 Likes

Same concern as everyone… but I’m still voting for a speed up :joy: (but I assume the majority won’t feel that way)

I’m one of the people that’s lagging a bit behind. Not entirely sure how I slipped the first time, but after I’d slipped once, it was suddenly too hard to catch up. I’ll do it after I get caught up on Yotsubato, I guess.

3 Likes

These days I’m always behind on something at the end of each week. Last week it was Aria, now it’s 時をかける少女.

4 Likes

I’m kind of relieved, I was barely keeping up with the pace of the current schedule, even if i do not aim for 100 percent comprehension. Definitely will read again from the start. Later, with increased reading muscles, after the book is finished in this club. Nevertheless, i enjoy reading this book so far, 9th chapter’s ending was pretty unexpected, surprised that they added that pretty brutal description of the mishap. After all it is written for kids. But i guess they had to make sure that readers understand that ‘the girl who leaps through time’ must go back again.

4 Likes

Lol, I like the term “reading muscles”.

I’m currently lagging a bit behind because I haven’t touched the book since I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. :upside_down_face:

Planning to catch up over today/tomorrow (I’ve been saying that for a week but hoping posting it here will make me actually follow through on it lol).

3 Likes

Same experience here. I’ll usually get up to date on one book, only to fall behind on the other. I thought I’d be able get up to date over Christmas after falling behind around the JLPT, but that didn’t happen. I feel like I need another week off work so I can catch up with the book clubs.

5 Likes

Hello! I’m returning from a looong wanikani break (before the time these book clubs where a thing, I think), I did read a few childrens books in the meantime (actually mostly 黒魔女さんが通る!!) but I’m struggling to keep going on my own… I think I’ll try to catch up on your current book as I have a bit more free time this and the next week. I’m not really reading for 100% comprehension, so it’s usually going pretty fast, but I found reading through everyones comments and the vocabulary list still pretty helpful and enlightening :slight_smile: I’ll catch up to you soonTM

12 Likes

Jokes aside, I’m at my limit too between Aria, this and wanikani in general. There is only so much I can do while in the office :stuck_out_tongue:. Sometimes I have to cram two weeks of reading in one day to catch up.

3 Likes

By the way, how long until you expect to finish this book?

When you started I tried to read the first pages that were available online, and it was almost impossible… but since then I hope I’ve improved my vocab/kanji/grammar… so I’m wondering if I’ be able to join the next one.

A week after February 16th according to the schedule in the first post

1 Like

And the idea is to start a new book right away? Or the book club usually gives some rest? Is the next book already selected?

I can answer the last question: no, it’s not selected. You’ll have to ask someone else about if there will be a break or not if you want to be sure, but I think there usually has been one that’s a week or so long(but I’m not 100% confident. Someone else probably knows)

2 Likes

Sometimes we take a week off between books. We’ll vote on the next book in a couple weeks. You’re welcome to nominate something in the next week or so if you want.

2 Likes