日本語 Training Menu 💪

A soon-to-be 日本語 study log.

Because type A cats like me thrive with militant OCD planning and multi-directional accountability :v:

Disclaimer: this thread is first and foremost for my personal learning purposes and is therefore not intentioned to be particularly entertaining or inspiring. If it happens to be, awesome, but if you’re looking for thrills I’d highly recommend looking elsewhere :joy:

Current resources:

12 Likes

As a fellow HxH enthusiast I look forward to your journey!

がんばって!

2 Likes

ありがとう, fellow HxH enthusiast!

Out of interest, have you found watching anime to improve your Japanese? I love anime, but if I’m being honest, am not sure if I’m watching it in a way that is strengthening my Japanese muscles, haha! :see_no_evil: Enjoyment muscles though? Definitely.

3 Likes

Anime could be useful when you get to intermediate stuff like sentence mining. That’s where you study sentences in order to understand things as a whole instead of in parts, like in WaniKani. Of course, you’d need some words under your belt to read sentences, so I’d recommend continuing to use the site to improve.

When you think you are ready I’d definitely recommend using Anki to supplement your learning (It also lets you sentence mine), and there is a WaniKani template which could make things feel more familiar for you posted in the community.

Good luck!

1 Like

At your level, watching anime probably isn’t super helpful for your Japanese skills. But don’t worry about it! Just keep studying and you’ll be amazed at how much you’re gonna be able to understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate your honesty @darkness_rising. I’ll keep studying and in the meantime just enjoy anime for the sake of anime :joy:

When you watch anime at your level, do you watch it in a particular way (i.e. take notes etc.)? Or can you just watch it as you would watch TV and learn through osmosis?

1 Like

Personally what I do is just watch and really try and focus and try to understand as much as I can. If an entire conversation is incomprehensible I’ll just skip it and move on, but if I can mostly understand something except one or two words I’ll stop and replay until I get it and even look up the word if I happen to not know it. I don’t take notes or write down anything at all. It may not be the most efficient but any more work and it’d be too intolerable at my level, and I’m seeing improvement so it’s doing something at least.

1 Like

Some people have already replied with good stuff to this but here’s my input.

Now I’ll explain, after years of watching anime you definitely pick up on some vocab here and there.

Some examples:

Baka (idiot), shine (die), ganbatte (do your best / work hard), shoganai (it can’t be helped), donmai ( don’t worry), gomen (sorry), arigatou (thank you), konnichiwa / konbanwa / ohayou, sumimasen (I’m sorry), muri (impossible), sayonara (bye), genki desu, subarashii (excellent?), kirei (pretty), yoshi (preparing to do something?) etc….

I’m sure there are many more but I’ve just woke up haha. Some of these might not be 100% correct but I’m sure they’re close. But you do learn a little bit just by watching anime.

Also worth noting since learning Katakana, Hiragana and starting on Kanji it feels like people in anime talk slower, or I can at least hear the specific pronunciation of words more clearly. I’ve also found myself hearing words and vocab (only a few times!) while watching anime. An example would be I heard someone say “round onion” in a show I was watching. when I did it on WaniKani I thought it would be useless “why am I learning this word so early :joy:”.

1 Like

@Lewby san’s post has already listed the most obvious words you learn but I would like to add a few more.

Tadaima (like when you come home), Okaeri (when someone welcomes you after you enter your home), ittekimasu (before leaving home), itterashai (say to someone before they leave house), tonikaku (anyways), zettai (something like absolutely), issho (together), ittadakimasu (before eating), gochisousama (after eating), hontou (really), uso (lie).

I don’t know about everyone but I could pick up lots of grammar points as well. Just a tip, don’t watch shounen if you want to learn grammar from anime. They have absolutely ridiculous grammar.

Another thing I learnt was using anime openings.
Once you have basic vocabulary try to analyze the openings using the fandoms. They have an awesome kanji, romaji and English translation. You can take each kanji, search it up in Jisho, learn the stroke order. One song, (for me) takes about 2-3 hours. And you also remember the song really well once you do that. Then sometimes you can even make connections between songs. Like Naruto op 16 opens with “Isse no se” which is basically “one two three!” or “Ready, set go!”. And then when I watched the fourth opening of Bakemonogatari, ‘Renai Circulation’, it started with “Se no” and meant “One two”. I would also recommend using the three videos of Japanese Ammo with Misa about Learning Japanese from Anime openings. The explanations she gives are detailed, really detailed. I had actually also seen all three of the animes whose openings she uses, so I was actually motivated to see the whole video (1 hour)

Edit : This is the first time I’ve written such a long post to give someone tips!

1 Like

Good post! Those are some good extra vocab, there are lots of good things that are easy to pick up from anime, it’s hard to lost them all though :smiley:

I hope one day I can watch some anime without subs or even just with Japanese subs.

1 Like

Yeah me too, but I can only pick up those words. Which in my opinion is a bit too less. :rofl:

Also, I think you wanted to write "it’s hard to list "

1 Like

Yup I don’t usually write on my phone! I spend way too much time on the computer though hehe.

Autocorrect always fixes the wrong things.

1 Like

I mostly watch anime for enjoyment purposes too :D. I’m not that good yet :sweat_smile:

Actually trying to actively learn from anime is pretty difficult/time-consuming in my opinion. The only things I consistently do is:

1. if I hear a grammar point I recently learned, I go like ooh! and make a mental note of it, and
  2. if I hear a vocab word that I learned on Wanikani or somewhere else but didn’t immediately recognize it, I stick it into Kamesame.
    (kamesame.com is a flashcard site kinda like WK; you can use it to practice Eng–>Jpn vocab rather than just Jpn–>Eng like on WK, but it’s also connected to JMDict so you can also add any word from there.)

If I’m being really tryhard about it, which happens very rarely, I go through the transcript and make a list of all the words I don’t know and put them into Kamesame. That probably takes more time than it’s worth lmao.

Sending all the thanks to my fellow おたく for your thoughts and wisdom :pray: @DawnTheFawn @Lewby @Catherine670 (appreciate the rare allocation of time, haha!) @darkness_rising

I’ll keep enjoying anime for the sake of enjoying anime (ft. the occasional “OHMYGOD I KNOW THAT WORD! :exploding_head:”) until I’ve levelled up a bit more. The day will come, team, when we can all say farewell to the subtitles.

1 Like

You’re welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m out of likes so take this :heart: instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

Better appreciate it! :rofl:

2 Likes

just to add on the “can you learn through anime” front - one element that watching anime (without subs) has really helped me with is my listening comprehension. Even if you can’t understand fully what’s going on, just getting used to having to listen and not just read really helps.

That said, I didn’t start until I had covered N5 and N4 grammar and read a few manga (about 6 months into studying Japanese) and even so, even with simpler slice of life shows I pretty much only just manage to get enough to understand what’s going on. It is really cool where there are little sections you grasp completely though!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.