日本人のための日本語文法入門 anyone?

This grammar book on Amazon JP picked my interest but I could not find any book reviews in English. Has anyone read it? Is it too basic? Interesting? Useful? Thanks for any input. Here is the table of contents from the publisher

目次

第1章 学校で教えられない「日本語文法」
第2章 「主題と解説」という構造
第3章 「自動詞」と「他動詞」の文化論
第4章 日本人の心を表す「ボイス」   
第5章 動詞の表現を豊かにする「アスペクト」   
第6章 過去・現在・未来の意識「テンス」
第7章 文を完結する「ムード」の役割
第8章 より高度な文へ、「複文」
1 Like

Looks interesting to me, reading the 目次!

1 Like

You can read the first 20 pages or so on bookwalker for free and decide for yourself.

From my quick reading of those pages:

Too basic? This depends on your level but it is aimed at native speakers.

Interesting? Seems so, it opened the discussion clarifying higher level structures of the language and from the menu it will later dive into more nuanced aspects.

Useful? As it targets native speakers whose strengths and weaknesses in the language is clearly very different from 2nd (or nth) language learners, it’s marginal usefulness for such learners beyond “an interesting read” would be limited. Case in point as you’ll see by reading the first pages yourself: We probably all started learning Japanese grammar by placing great emphasize on the verb (or i-adj) that’s anchoring the sentence at the end, thus naturally don’t have the biased view of “A sentence is constructed as S+V” that the Japanese seem to teach in their grade school grammar classes. This makes the author’s attempts to correct that ‘biased view’ interesting but not useful.

4 Likes

Thanks! This is the first time I heard of bookwalker!

No problem, bookwalker is certainly a good place for some online “立ち読み”.

Thanks for mentioning this interesting book! Thinking about picking it up now:)