初級を教える人のための日本語文法ハンドブック - Has anyone read this book?

As the title says, I would like to know if someone here has read this book. I read a few pages of this book and I really really liked the explanations. Since, the book is in Japanese and aimed at Japanese people, there’s no 1:1 translation, which is what I really liked. If anyone’s read this book, I would like to hear their thoughts!

3 Likes

I have the continuation, 中上級を教える人のための日本語文法ハンドブック, the pink one.

As you said, it is a book meant for Japanese people, so the explanations are all in Japanese. These days I barely use it, but on my first years in Japan I used it a lot. In general the examples are great and the explanations pretty good. I also like the fact that you can either search by genre and meaning using the table of contents or also by the expressions themselves through the index at the end.

My only question here is, if you can read a book explaining grammar in full Japanese, no furigana and etc, why would you buy the 初級 one? I mean, the 中上級 has all the basic grammar points too, just explained more thoroughly, including exceptions and comparisons with other grammar points; other than the advanced grammar points themselves, of course.

If you are thinking on buying the 初級 one because it would be “easier to read”, don’t fool yourself. Both are written with the exact same level of Japanese: Real Japanese.

2 Likes

Oh, is that so? I didn’t look through the 中級 one, so I thought it’ll have different things.

Nah, that’s not the case, I was planning to get both of them anyways :smiley:

1 Like

Got the book from my shelf just to be sure I was not imagining things. Some quotes from the まえがき:

[Main three objectives of the book]
②基本的な文法項目は初級編との重複を恐れず取り上げ、使用場面や類義表現に配慮して説明しなおすことにより、「使える」文法知識にする。

[Later in the text]
この中上級編ではまさに初級を含めた「教授過程全体を視野にいれて」記述したつもりですので、中上級を教える方はもちろんのこと、初級を教える方にもぜひ読んでいただきたいと思う次第です。

Thinking about it now, I bought this book in a time I didn’t have much money and couldn’t buy both (what I would surely have done if I could then), so I chose buying the 中上級 because I was sure the 初級 didn’t have everything I needed. But after using it for years, I never found something like a basic grammar topic which is not covered in the 中上級, just on the 初級.

And of course, if you got to the Japanese level needed for reading this book, I seriously doubt the 初級 one will have everything you need.

But of course if you were planning on buying both anyway, that is totally fine. The book lover in me would surely be happier with the full collection anyway, so I won’t judge you. Go ahead and buy them all, hahaha

4 Likes

it says it includes the newbie book content, so there’s no need to go out of your way to get it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.