希 = Wish/Hope? 望 = Hope/Wish?

Hello, is this really correct?:
希 = Wish
望 = Hope

under 希 is only “hope” and “to request”
while “hope” “to wish” and “wish” is under 望
also jisho.org is not listing wish as meaning for 希.

Its seams they both are mixed up.

1 Like

They basically both mean のぞむ at their core in Japanese. That’s how you’ll see them defined if you check a kanji dictionary.

So the answer to that, in my book, would have to be “yes” it is correct to say that 希 means wish, and it is correct to say that 望 means hope, and if you wanted to say hope for 希 and wish for 望 I would also say yes that’s correct.

So go ahead and add more synonyms if you want.

It’s not super critical to differentiate their English meanings at the kanji level.

6 Likes

The meaning notes for 望む specifically call out that it does not mean “to hope” which is a little confusing on top of all of that.

If that’s the case, I would say it’s wrong. I have heard Japanese people translate sentences with hope with 望む.

望む can be translated a ton of ways.

3 Likes

It’s odd… on jisho neither nor list “wish” as a meaning?

Someone could send a suggested update to the Kanjidic2 database if they want. That’s what Jisho uses for kanji data, and anyone can submit corrections if they want (though it would have to be approved by someone with update power). Kanjidic2 isn’t an authoritative source or anything.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.