少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 13: 雨音 :cloud_with_rain::musical_note:

Start Date: June 8th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 12
Next Chapter: Chapter 14

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

This was a fun chapter in the anime. I feel it is going to be a bit strange in the manga without any actual sounds…

2 Likes

Agreed. Haven’t finished reading through the chapter yet, but its definitely lacking in comparison to the anime since there’s no sound. And now I think I’m going to go listen to that ending theme a couple hundred times more. . .

2 Likes

Nice and short chapter :slight_smile:

I have a couple places I’m not completely sure I understand:

Page 85

荷物にシートかけといて
From googling a bit I believe かけといて is actually an informal abbreviation of かけておいて (as in, ておく do something in preparation for). Is that correct?

Page 96

音の高低とリズムがあって
それが連なるものらしい
I used “to have a connection; to be related; to be linked​” for the meaning of 連なる, but not completely sure that’s what fits here…

Any help is appreciated!

Also meow

I still definitely feel the anime rendition is superior, but there were some really nice panels that gave a more concrete sense of sound, so it wasn’t as abstract as I expected.

sings カン カン ターン ピョロ ピョー

3 Likes

I interpreted it like that, yeah. Not sure if I’m correct, but I’ve seen that abbreviation a lot before:3

Maybe this is something like “to connect high/low sounds and rhythm”? Describing the concept of music in this case? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hmmm now that you mention it, I’ve often heard the phrase ほっといて which has a similar structure. Looking it up in jisho, it does says that it comes from 放って置く, so it definitely seems that we are on the right track :slight_smile:

That’s very similar to how I interpreted what was being said in that part. I guess it being such an abstract concept, it is a bit more difficult to be sure about what she’s saying.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Just finished chapter 13, and what a beautiful chapter it is. I loved reading it, and then the way the anime depicts it is just wonderful. I’ve no idea, but I’m guessing the anime must have won all kinds of prizes for the art work. And I suppose that the author of the manga must have been involved in creating the anime too. Anyone know for sure?

Anyway, no real questions or anything. By the time I go over the wordlist (thank you so much), read the thread (thank you so much), then watch line by line on the anime with the translations, pretty much everything is cleared up.

But I was wondering about the やつ on page 96… (これは音楽ってやつかもしれない), does it mean “thing” or “they”, but it’s not a big deal, just wondered if any future readers of this thread might know!

Thank you again to everyone involved in this wonderful bookclub!

2 Likes

It means „thing“ and refers to 音楽. The full sentence is This is a thing called „music“, I think.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :+1:

1 Like