夜市: Week 3 Discussion

Sorry for not putting the percentage this time! Context in Japanese really is everything :sweat_smile: That interpretation makes sense since Yuji still wants to find his brother before leaving, but Izumi really just had enough of that place

4 Likes

I had that exact thought once I realized that one of the things you could buy and sell was people. I’m sure if you look long enough you could find some shop that really wants to trade for socks, or locks of hair or something, so theoretically Izumi wasn’t totally screwed from the start just by having no money, but…“you’ll have to be content with window-shopping” is an absurd thing for him to have said.

Also…I don’t think I mentioned it here but I only noticed in the middle of last week that this was published by a horror imprint :sweat_smile:Not that that’s a problem but it definitely explains some things that caught my by surprise.

5 Likes

Uh oh, time is getting away from me. Trying to finish up week 3 today/tomorrow! I’m really loving Yuuji’s creepy explanation and kinda speeding through without taking tons of notes.

3 Likes

I appreciate when a character tells someone that a certain phrasing sounds unnatural, because otherwise I’d have no idea :sweat_smile:

「市場が発生というのは言葉の使い方としておかしいんじゃない?」 and before that I was just nodding along like, okay, so that’s how you use 発生

I’m simultaneously suspicious of the old man, because horror stories and friendly strangers don’t mix, and also wondering if he’ll be Izumi’s ally when Yuuji tries to trade her in for his younger brother. Why else would he ask her to come knowing she doesn’t have any money?

> I kind of get the feeling that maybe Yuuji will end up sacrificing himself so that Izumi and the brother can escape, but really I have no idea.

I like this theory a lot, I feel like it would still fit with a horror story but it also makes Yuuji less of a bad guy. Seems like you have more faith in people than most of us and our morbid expectations :sweat_smile:

sorry I can’t figure out how to quote you right @maskedkoala

4 Likes

just select the text you want to quote and click on the „quote“ thing that appears

That doesn’t work for blurred text.

The easiest way, @hoodsandhats, is to quote the whole post (reply to, then the balloon icon top left) and just remove the parts you don’t need. You can then press reply to on another post and repeat the process (or change the target) if need be.

2 Likes

Oh didn‘t realize they were talking about blurred text :woman_facepalming: And thanks for the explanation!

1 Like