夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 4 (Beginner Book Club)

Oh, this has already been answered by @aamunoz : there are two rooms, one where you take a bath and one where you wash your face. Hence, two signs, one for each room.

4 Likes

Makes sense for some reason I was thinking each person was getting their own… (^_^)

2 Likes

Done with this week. Hanabi slowly figuring out what she wants. But I still feel she is not yet good at articulating that.
Seems like Aiko and Saki shouldn’t run a caffe but rather try their luck doing manzai :smiley: .

Learned a lot this week. I’m always happy learning new verbs. They are just endless but so important to understand the sentences (つかる). The most interesting language was the use of 名前ったら which I hadn’t come across until now. And 腹ごしらえ is such a cool word!

6 Likes

Finished this week’s reading, I only have one question

Said question

The part at the end where they are talking about Yamato-kun and such. The プレート they mention, is that some kind of cover or what exactly? I highly doubt it’s actually a painted tectonic plate as the dictionaries lead me to believe…

1 Like

It was already discussed earlier, you can scroll up in the thread to get some more information. Think of a thing you can hang on the door to show that the bath or the washroom are in use. One with the drawing of the girl in bubblebath and the other is still to be made by hanabi.

2 Likes

Course I failed to read back 2 posts, thanks a lot!

1 Like

It seems y’all are understanding this much better than I am, judging by the low amount of questions this chapter. I have a lot. Sorry in advance, and thanks for your help!

ebook page 40:

• あまりにしゃべらないから、何か言われるよりかえってこわくて、視線を合わせられない。
    Is she saying in the middle part that him saying something would be less scary?

ebook page 41:

• 「よ~し、できあがり~!」愛子さんがいせいよく言って、テーブルにはトマトとナスとベーコンのパスタ、ポテトサラダ、コンソメスープがならんだ。
    What is that に behind パスタ doing?

ebook page 43:

• パパまでが大仰にごきげんをとってくる。
    I don’t really know what that sentence means.
  • 「そうそう、ハナビの大好物だもんな。」 これだもん
    The first もん is “because”, like “Yes yes, because it’s Hanabi’s favourite food.”? But what’s that second もん, thought by Hanabi?
  • きのうまでとぜんぜんちがう。調子くるっちゃうよ。
    It’s completely different from yesterday. I’m losing my balance.”? So she’s thrown off balance because the mood is so much more positive compared to the day before?
5 Likes

Exactly though the wording in Japanese is kinda different but the meaning is the same. Man this is hard to work into english without dropping something. Pretty rough attempt: compared to something being said on the contrary scarier

It’s one way to list all the options of a list. It’s similar to や or と in listings but has a different nuance. Think kinda of “on top of” for it. Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary entry 8.

ごきげんをとる is a set phrase Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary the 大仰に is modifying it. Does that help?

That’s how I interpreted it as well. Like she’s thinking “exactly because of that stuff” and then follows the rest.

I would go for something along the lines of (non literal): “They are completely different compared to until yesterday. I’m going nuts”

So overall it seems you understood way more and got way more correct even without asking than you think :smiley:

8 Likes

Yeah, I gave up trying to retain the structure in my translation there, haha. Especially the より / かえって combination makes it hard. But I think I got the gist!

Man, particles have too many meanings. Thanks!

Only a bit, to be honest. I also came upon that, but I didn’t really get how she was doing that (and how Hanabi knows that she is doing it.) Is it saying that ママ being all smiles and sunshine while unpacking the mount-blanc is to put パパ in a good mood? Or is she doing something specific to improve his mood?

I’m not sure I get that. I can see how これだもん。could mean “Exactly because of that stuff.”, but not how that makes sense in context. Maybe I’m not understanding something else in these passages…

But why is she going nuts? Because she thinks that they’re only pretending to be happy? Because she expected a stern talking-to and instead gets cake and smiles? Like, I’m not sure if she is happy, or just surprised, or confused, or frustrated or something.

Haha. Wait until I get deeper into their conversation. That part was really hard for me!

4 Likes
My understanding of that part

これだもの is literally “This is the thing”. What thing? She says so in the next sentence: “きのう までと ぜんぜん ちがう”.
If we add that, we have “So this is the thing - this is completely different to yesterday”.

In other words これだもん are words of realization: “Oh, so this is what is bothering me: that today they are acting completely different than yesterday”. The だもん is riding on the だもん on the previous dialogue, but they refer to completely different "もの"s.

About that sentence

This is how I split this sentence, if it helps.

パパ = dad
まで => even (literally: until including dad)
大仰に => the に makes this an adverb: exaggeratedly, pretentiously
ごきげんをとって => to butter up, to curry favor
くる => auxiliar verb to indicate directionality: the butterying up is in Hanabi’s direction.

“Even dad is exaggeratedly buttering me up”

My impression is that she’s annoyed at their buttering up to her, acting like they suddenly get along well and pretending that everything is fine.

10 Likes

Just in case someone is interested, it seems this book is now free with kindle unlimited jp.

6 Likes

I struggled soooo much with this too! I’m just not as good at asking questions as I should be :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Here, I fixed that for you. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Ah, that was the part that was really tripping me up. I thought it was towards dad. Now everything, including the sentences around it, make a bit more sense. And thanks explaining the other parts too!

Haha. I’m glad I wasn’t alone there, and that the answers to my questions also help others!

And with that being said… here comes the part that was hardest this chapter for me. Especially page 45. I swear, half of that page was red after I was done marking all the things I didn’t understand.

ebook page 43:

• 「そう、やっぱりうちにはママがいないとな。」
    I assume from context that means something like “Yeah, after all we have to have a mom in the house, right?”. Is that an 以内 in kana? Or a negative いる, as I first assumed, but didn’t know how that would make sense? And then と (quotation particle) + な (“right?”)?

ebook page 44:

• だけど、人のせいじゃない気がする……。
    Is that something like “But, [the fact that I am unhappy at school] is not because of other people”? (Which seems a bit untrue; I can think of one specific person who’s certainly to blame. But I’m glad that it seems that Hanabi is reclaiming some of her agency!)

ebook page 45:

• もしかしたら、ここでなら、なれるかもしれない。
    Maybe, if I’m here, I can grow.”? What exactly is the なら in ここでなら? Informal provisional だ?
  • 愛子さんの自由な感じや、早紀ちゃんの明るさ、ヤマト君のなにかありそうな雰囲気が、そう思わせているのかもしれないけど。
    Yamato-kun’s… what?
  • でも、自分が思っていることもはっきり言えない自分、いつも波風たてずにいようとする自分、パパとママのいい子でいようとしている自分。
    Phew, that one was pretty complicated and long!
    • "But, the me who can’t even express the things that I think myself, the me who always attempts to exist without standing up to conflict, the me who is always trying to be mama and papa’s good child."?
    • And the も in 思っていること is an “even”, right?
    • What’s the で in いい子いようとしている?
5 Likes
Pg. 43

It’s a negative いる. ないと is a grammar point that is similar to なきゃ. Basically “must do~”

Pg. 44

I interpreted it that way, basically, yes, even though I agree that it’s at least somewhat other people’s fault, I also admire the desire to take some agency to correct it.

Pg. 45

The Yamato-kun bit is a bit of a pain to translate into English, but basically his “something-seems-to-be-going-on atmosphere/aura”. I think it’s a very-Japanese way of saying “mysterious aura”.

The other questions, I would want to reconsult the novel to confirm my thoughts, so I’ll leave it to others, and check back after work if it hasn’t been answered yet!

3 Likes

“Trying to be the good kid way” as far as I understood, so basically “Trying to be a good kid”

3 Likes

If I may, I start this round again :smiley:

You nearly got it. It’s negative いる. All in all a short casual form of いないといけない or いないとだめ. The meaning is exactly what you said ^^.

I wouldn’t put this sentence only on the shool situation. I think she says it about her home situation too. Loosly I would go with “But I ('m starting to) get the feeling that it’s not anybodys fault”.
Would agree that there is at least someone at shool who is partly to blame ^^

ここでなら is literal. “If I’m here”. ここで place where the action takes place. なれる is the potential form of なる. It connects with the previous sentence. “I probably can become (the thing I’ve been talking about in the last few sentences).” Without the nara it would just be ここでなれる I can become (transform into) it here

It splits in なにか something, ありそう looks like having, 雰囲気 air. A pretty abstract description that he has something he has going for him, like the stuff she listed about the other two pepole, but she can’t put a finger on it.

A small note here. The 波風たてずに translates more to “without making trouble/without putting the family into disarray”.

3 Likes

I’d add, that なら is present in dictionaries in this form as well, as “if that’s the case”.

3 Likes

I was finally able to read a bit more of the chapter, hoping to finish tomorrow. First of all, thank you Tobias because I got stumped at every single point you asked about so that made reading a lot easier for me since they were all answered already xD
But I do still have one question about the below. What is the と doing here?

LOL I had been writing down questions here as I went and now I see Tobias managed to beat me to them.

Thank you for all the clarifying answers, they’ve really helped. Might be a dumb question but I’m still not sure what いようとする means in the two sentences it was used in. What does the いよう come from?

6 Likes

No such thing as a dumb question. It’s the volational form of いる (居る in this case) with the grammar point JLPT N3 Grammar: ようとする (you to suru) Meaning – JLPTsensei.com

“trying to be”

6 Likes