夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 4 (Beginner Book Club)

:sparkles:

Ah, nice! One more grammar point for Bunpro. It’s a pity that grammar is sometimes so hard to search yourself, since at least I often don’t know where it starts and ends…

Ah, right. It’s transitive, so my translation doesn’t work at all.

Thanks for all the answers, folks! Much appreciated!

Haha. Glad to be of service!

I think it might be the one from “comparisons” here: と Particle | Japanese with Anime. JLPTSensei also has a few とは examples: Japanese Meaning of 違う (chigau) | JLPT N5 – JLPTsensei.com.

Also, regarding the ようとする, here’s a thread that I found helpful to improve my understanding of ようとする vs. してみる: Reddit - Dive into anything

3 Likes

I am late reading this week and have just been scanning the thread to find this answer.

I’d actually translated it as:

あまりにしゃべらないから、何か言われるよりかえってこわくて、視線を合わせられない

Because he didn’t talk much, I was scared to say anything back, and tried to stay out of his line of sight

3 Likes

Maybe you saw that already, but that was @downtimes comment to my interpretation:

To be honest though, I’m not quite sure how it breaks down. Especially the より is puzzling for me, because it I’m not sure where the other part is. I’ve learnt [A]より[B], and if 何か言われる is [A], what is [B]? The sentence before it, despite the から and despite being before it? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding the から and it isn’t “because”? Or is [b] the かえって, despite being an adverb? Or maybe it’s a different grammar point?

But it seems unlikely to me that Hanabi would be doing the speaking there, since 言われる is passive.

1 Like

My take on it is that it is [何か言われる]より[かえってこわくて], which roughly translates as

何か言われる = A = something being said
かえってこわくて = B = all the more scarier

So now the question is, what to do with the より? A common translation pattern of AよりB is “B than A”. If we apply this here, we get at “all the more scarier than something being said”.
So now let’s combine with the sentence before it, あまりにしゃべらないから - because he hardly talked. So we get

“because he hardly talked, it was all the more scary than when something had been said, and (as a result) I could not match his glance.”

10 Likes

Thanks for breaking it down for me! I also read up a bit more on より and thought more about it, and I realized that what I was thinking about was more [A]より[B]のほうが than what we actually have here. I feel like my understanding improved a bit.

Unrelatedly, I just stumbled upon a point on the Bunpro page for ないと (that we earlier discussed in the 「そう、やっぱりうちにはママが いないとな 。」sentence that I thought was interesting:

I feel like that really fits into what @Hantsuki described in an earlier thread - that the father seems to strongly feel like it’s just common sense and proper for the wife to stay at home and care for the household.

Also, turns out I have no more questions for the chapter! :slight_smile:

And I agree with the red note in the vocab list for 改まる that says “From context, I think this is more likely the “to be formal” meaning”.

3 Likes

Yeah, the complete form is [A]より[B]のほうが[C], and in the case of our sentence it is shortened to [A]より[C]. It’s also very common to only have [B]のほうが[C], as you are probably aware.
Glad that it helped you :+1:

3 Likes

I feel like I probably should have asked this a while ago but how do I interpret the と in all of those プッとふき出した、ガンとする、ポンとたたいて言った.

I’ve honestly just kind of been glossing over them but since they keep popping up in huge numbers it’s starting to bug me lol.

Also on the Kindle page 46 when Aiko gives Hanabi to plate, what is the コレ. If it is これ is there a particular reason it is in katakana?

And thank you everyone for all the help so far!

2 Likes

those と are used to quote for audible sounds … also used for onomatomania OOPS!!!
onomatopoeia

4 Likes

I assume it’s in Katakana here just as an emphasis marker. It reads to me like italics would in english for that sentence. And yes it’s a simple 此れ (hehe another form of it ^^)

5 Likes

So, uh… I think there’s a layer of irony here in my correcting this… (given the definition of onomatomania is… well: An abnormal concentration on certain words and their supposed significance or on the effort to recall a particular word), but I think you meant onomatopoeia. :wink:

Or the much easier Japanese equivalent: 擬音語 (ぎおんご)

4 Likes

that’s what I get for trying to type fast and relying on autocorrect :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Most can be found, if you put them into a dictionary with the と, that usually helps

1 Like

Still rushing to finish up chapter 4 lol. I’m pretty lost as to what the interaction between Aiko-san and Hanabi is about, after Hanabi’s parents leave, something about Aiko-san asking Hanabi if she’d like to take a bath, jumping straight to a painting? and then something about Yamato-kun.

1 Like

Since you didn’t specifically ask for an answer, and I don’t know how much you want to figure it out yourself, here are a few progressively more spoilery hints about that conversation:

• The “painting” is a drawing with some text on a small-ish object

• The drawing and the text have something to do with Hanabi bathing

• The object that the text and drawing are on is a sign plate

• The sign plate is used to prevent something that might accidentially happen

• The whole thing probably looks like this, except a lot cuter

• The door to the room where she will be bathing probably has no lock

• Aiko-san made a plate to hang in front of the door to prevent Yamato-kun from accidentially entering the room where Hanabi will be bathing

5 Likes

Ah alright, that makes sense. Yeah, I couldn’t figure out the conversation, thanks for the help!

2 Likes