夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 3 (Beginner Book Club)

I have some questions about the first page of the chapter:

• The first sentence has the phrase 「愛子さんちに泊まった」Does the ち here mean something like “Aiko-san’s place”?
  • 「どうしてママはおこしてくれないのよっ」I understand that this means “why didn’t mum wake me up” but as for the form of the verb 「起こす」is this the 「てくれる」meaning “doing a favour”?
  • In 「こんな姿を見られちゃうなんて」How do you break down that last part exactly?
  • In 「…口をもごもごさせ」What is the 「させ」 here?
  • 「調子くるっちゃうよ」, how is this broken down?
  • When speaking with Aiko-san after entering the cafe, Hanabi says […でも、寝すぎた」. What is this 「すぎた」 exactly?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

5 Likes

yup!

too much, to do excessively … sugiru - Jisho.org

5 Likes

Ah I see, is there any sort of rule for how to conjugate verbs like this?

3 Likes

Hmm, yes, lots of rules :sweat_smile: but can you be more specific? I’m not sure what you want to know. Also, I’m probably not the best person to ask about grammar as my learning strategy is to forget the rules as quickly as possible after learning them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: However, I’ll take a stab.

What Hanabi said was (the stem of the verb ねる, to sleep) + すぎた (to overdo in the past tense) = I overslept.

Does that make sense?

4 Likes

Just to elaborate on this a bit, this is a contraction of のうち that happens quite often.

Trying saying さんのうち really fast, and you’ll see how it gets there.

If you mean how to conjugate V + すぎる specifically, it’s the same rules as conjugating into ます form basically.

ねる to ねます = ねる to ねすぎる.

すぎる then conjugates as a る verb would from there.

10 Likes

Yeah I meant how do you connect “sugita” to a verb to make it mean “to overdo”, which I assume is a thing? Unless this is just a specific case

2 Likes

I see, thank you

3 Likes

Yes, that’s it.

You mean 見られちゃうなんて, right?

見られちゃう is a contraction of 見られて+しまう (can unfortunately see)
and then we have なんて - Jisho.org (“or something” - often used to denote dislike)

させる is the causative form of する (literally “to make do”)

Just like above, 狂って しまう よ

For the contractions, you might want to have a look at the Quick Contraction Reference which will probably clarify a bunch of your questions!

13 Likes

Here you go: すぎる (JLPT N5) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained (also for negative forms)

6 Likes

Thanks! Yep, this reference is going to be very helpful going forward

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m looking for. Thank you!

4 Likes

This is what I’ve been needing for my reading!

7 Likes

Few more questions!

P39-40

いつからだろう - does this mean “since forever”?

かんな気持ちになれなくなったのは - is she saying she could get used to this feeling? Or she can’t get used to this feeling? Or something else entirely?

P41

さっきにらまれたときは、こわくて背筋が寒くなった = his back muscles scarily became cold??

3 Likes

For this one at least, I found an answer! Neither of the definitions for 寒い given on imiwa fit, so I looked it up on Goo, and lo:

恐ろしさなどで震え上がる。「心胆を―・からしめる」「背筋が―・くなる」

“he was scared and his back trembled,” or more naturally, “he trembled with fear.”

5 Likes

think more natural english…very much an idiom…
but in horror movies …

Because he was scared a chill ran down his spine
or
He was scared and a chill ran down his spine

8 Likes

Ah, so it’s Hanabi’s back being referred to?

Earlier…She trembled in fear?

4 Likes

It means „since when“

Yes :slight_smile: She could not get used to the feeling. Please see the next post which contains the correct translation.
And then it’s nominalized but that’s too weird in English so I‘ll spare you :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Could this possibly be the potential form of なる instead of 慣れる? So like, “I wonder since when. I stopped (being able to become) feeling this way.” The lack of kanji makes this so much harder for me.

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming: Yes, you are totally right! Sorry for the confusion.

4 Likes

Yup!

Details

さっきにらまれたときは、こわくて背筋が寒くなった
さっき = before
にらまれた = was glared at
とき = time
は = topic particle

さっきにらまれたときは = Before, when he glared at me

こわくて = scared
背筋が寒くなった = a chill ran down my spine

So the whole thing:
Before, when he glared at me, I was so scared a chill ran down my spine.

5 Likes