夏目友人帳 - Natsume's Book of Friends Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Nyanko senseiiiiiii! Here I cooooooome!

*purchases the book on ebook japan *

Damn, those characters are tiny… I can barely make out the kanji, let alone the furigana. I might have to dish out 15€ for an import next time I’m in Paris… sigh

4 Likes

Oh, I can barely make out the furigana in my physical copy of the book :sweat_smile:

waves :hugs:

1 Like

Lol figures! I just downloaded the ebi reader for windows and zooming in is actually much easier and clearer than on the browser, so that will help. Does anyone know if there is a way to print some pages out (short of screengrabing them and printing that)? I’ll be away without a computer starting October 17th… Or is there an ebi reader app for android tablets???

Yes there is ^^

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ebookjapan.ebireader&hl=en_US

2 Likes

Thanks, got it! It’s actually much more legible on there, hurray! I migh start early cause Saturday I’m giving a workshop all day. I’ve created a Natsume deck in Kitsun.io, I think I’m all set :):sunglasses:

2 Likes

Deck buddies!

2 Likes

Yay! This is a gorgeous cover ! Mine is classic but animated lol (though you can’t see it here :sweat_smile:) Also, you already have cards in there? Way to go! I’m planning to add as I read…

1 Like

Looks good!

Ah, um, oops, shhhhhhh! I’m going to be on holiday while we’re reading chapters 2 and 3, so I wanted to get a bit of a headstart to avoid falling behind (I’m planning to read chapter 2 in advance so that even if I can’t read at all on holiday I can at least comment on the story with everyone else).

6 Likes

Ok so instead of starting late I started early and already have questions :slight_smile:

On page 8, 3rd speech bubble, I’m having a parsing/meaning problem… Is it それより one word as in “apart from just what just happened, is there a shinto shrine nearby?” or それ and より as two different words, in which case I’m guessing it would be more along the line of “where’s the closest shrine in the neighborhood?”…

Same page, speech bubble 5, I’m guessing the full expression would be ような気がする, and Natsume cuts him mid-sentence… Or does the suru get dropped in casual speech?

Same page, speech bubble 10, I understand the gist of the sentence though not really how it works grammatically, especially the かんじだな part… Is that one word/compound word? Not even sure how to parse it…

All for today! Hope it’s ok for me to start early, I’ll be giving a worshop all day on Saturday so won’t have time to start with you all… :slight_smile:

I’ve mentioned this to others before, but if you write out more of the surrounding context, even people who aren’t reading along can try to help. :slight_smile:

Regarding starting early, just keep in mind that a separate thread will be created by @MissMisc for each chapter, so most of the discussion will happen in those.

2 Likes

I read it as one ‘word’, meaning something along the lines of “anyway, more importantly…”. I think it’s a recognised conjunction rather than something you infer directly from それ and より independently.

I’ll look at the other bits once I get home and can look at my copy ^^ (and yep, seconding what seanblue said, there will be a separate thread for chapter 1 come Saturday which will contain the bulk of the discussion :blush: )

3 Likes

Ahhh thank you @seanblue, I’m new to this whole book club thing, so still have to get the hand of it… I will rephrase my questions in the chapter thread when it’s created, thanks !

@Radish8 Awesome! That’s what I thought too :slight_smile: Thank you.

Ps: I can’t believe I’m making relative sense of native material (with a lot of help from Bunpro and the likes, but still!). Just making cards for my Kistun.io deck is already getting all those words/grammar points get in my brain :slight_smile: So excited about this!

1 Like

I’ll be creating the chapter’s thread tomorrow, so feel free to have your questions ready ^^

They’ll be created every Friday before the start of a new chapter c:

6 Likes

EVERYTHING IS SO EXCITING :durtle_love:

8 Likes

Y-YOU’RE SO EXCITING :durtle_love::durtle_love:

6 Likes

WHAT IS THE DURTLE???

(also you guys are great)

4 Likes

So I’m getting a bit of a headstart (Because I can be unbelievably slow and I have a lot of down time at work right now) and to get my notes ready I’m making little post-its, but can someone explain how the Google Docs will work? Will each chapter tab have separate columns that just aren’t filled out yet or how will we input things. I was reading through the instructions and didn’t quite see a format on following tabs.

I’m really excited to be starting this!

I’ve just added the column headers to the chapter tabs based on what we used in Non Non Biyori.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s super helpful and makes a lot more sense now!

1 Like