売れる Reading explanation

On level 9, when learning 売れる, the site tells us that we already learned the Kun’yomi “う” reading, but the one that we learned in the Kanji was the On’yomi “ばい” reading. In the 売る reading explanation I can see an explanation for the Kun’yomi reading, but not on the 売れる, and you learn them at the same time, so it’s not possible to have learned it beforehand.

email them

You can’t learn them literally at the same time, so I think the intention is that you’ll learn 売る before 売れる. Didn’t 売る appear in your lessons before 売れる? Are you using a reorder script or randomizing your lessons in the settings that could change the intended lesson order?

I didn’t use any scrip to change the order of the lessons, 売れる appeared first

Edit: But a few lessons after 売る appeared, in the same batch of lessons

2 Likes

Gotcha. The default order is non-randomized too, so if you never changed that setting then that means 売れる is intended to go first. In that case it does sound like a bug and that they should change which item has the mnemonic (or make 売る appear first). So like @Kumirei said, you should email them because they don’t often check the forums for content issues.

Even if 売る appeared first, shouldn’t both of them have the reading explanation? You can’t be expected to “know” the reading of an vocab that you are just starting to learn and apply to another vocab, can you?

1 Like

It’s a tough one. At a certain point they have to assume you know a reading if it’s been taught before, but I agree that it’s a bit of a stretch to say you know it from learning it a minute earlier. Sometimes they include words with the same reading two levels after it was first introduced. So maybe they should keep 売る on level 9 and move 売れる to level 11.

1 Like

I think they changed their preferred kanji-reading from kun- to onyomi but didn’t change the vocabluary texts. I vaguely remember learning “う” for 売.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.