報道 vs 報告 ? What's the difference?

Is there a substantive difference between these two vocab terms?

報道 - news report
報告 - report

I’m really struggling to remember which is which. Are they functionally similar? Can I just add “report” as a synonym to 報道 and be done with it?

2 Likes

The original meanings might have been similar, but in practice they aren’t used very similarly.

報道 is something a news organization broadcasts. You watch it on TV or hear it on the radio or whatever.

A 報告 is something that a person announces or delivers after having been given some kind of duty to find the information.

The context is usually going to be pretty different. You will not do any 報道 yourself unless you are in a media company. But almost anyone can do a 報告.

16 Likes

Thank you!! :pray:

Maybe the distinction could be made clearer in WaniKani’s descriptions?

報道: The way of news is to do lots of news reports.

報告: A news report that is to announce the news is a just a report. Just imagine someone announcing the news outside. They are giving you a report on the information going on with the news.

I could suggest an edit to the descriptions, to clarify the different implications of these two words…

1 Like

If you want you can send the Tofugu team an email and suggest it.

1 Like

I switched my phone into japanese and realized the difference in usage. When i play a game for example and want to report another player (for no reason at all). It is written 報告 not 報道

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.