図書館 vs. 図書室

I was reviewing some voc and I’ve meet 図書館 which I translated to “public library”. WK didn’t appreciate this translation and expected just “library”.

So I was wondering if there was a difference between what I considered to be a public library 図書館 and a personal library 図書室. Do these words have the same meaning or should public library also be added as an acceptable answer for ~館?

The difference is pretty much in the Kanji here, a 図書館 is a library building, most libraries are public, but a private membership based library would still be a 図書館.

A 図書室, like 室 shows here is more or less a library room, or a smaller part of a bigger building. Now this could be some guys book-room in his mansion, but it could also be the library in a High School. The personal / private distinction really isn’t in the word here.

4 Likes

a private membership based library would still be a 図書館.

This answers completely my doubt.

Just to double down here, I did find 私立図書館, which is quite literally “Private Library.”

Same here, I found 私立図書館 - Wikipedia but 私立図書didn’t give any satisfactory results.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.