取 kanji reading

So, I’m kinda confused here. The reading WK wants when just asking for the kanji is しゅ, but not only is a significant portion of the vocal we’re using to internalize its reading using と instead, but I also recall there being a couple items that don’t use 取 at all, but refer to the 取る reading to make it make more sense.

For reference, at the point I’m at now, I have 8 vocab items that use 取, and only one of those uses the しゅ reading. There are, admittedly, 8 additional ones I haven’t unlocked yet, but even out of them, only 3 use しゅ, and even the earliest of those only unlocks at level 47.

I guess where I’m going with this is: Why teach しゅ as the base reading when the examples WK uses to drill it in are greatly overshadowed by what’s considered the “exceptional” reading by a factor of 3? After all, I’m far more likely to see 取 and think it has to do with taking something rather than remembering how it’s read in 取材.

Interesting, I remembered the on’yomi immediately but I couldn’t recall any words that use the on’yomi.

Anyway, I don’t think it hurts to learn it. It’s kun reading is super common, so you’ll learn it anyway.

3 Likes

They call the kunyomi “exceptional?” That’s odd. Both readings are common and it seems fine from my perspective to teach either one in the kanji lesson.

2 Likes

I guess I should say “exceptional” as in “it’s not the one WK wants when it checks whether you know the kanji”, and maybe to have one or two more words early on that use the しゅ reading.

Most words that use the kunyomi, to be fair, are some kind of compound verb with とる. There are tons of those, but they’re still basically all just some combo with とる.

But like I said, both readings are common, so one of them always goes first and one is left for later and I wouldn’t interpret that as WK making a judgment one way or the other.

There are a number of common words that use しゅ, but yeah, a lot of them are compounds where the other kanji is a higher level one.

Are you just saying you find it hard to remember しゅ and you want to answer with と because it’s easier for you to remember?

My recollection usually they usually do kunyomi if the on’yomi is going to be a really long wait, like 川 and 犬 would be like 50 levels later with current vocab (I guess that leaves the door open to add words, but yeah).

1 Like

Yes to the first half, though not necessarily to the second. The issue I have is moreso how many times you’re told to recall とas opposed to しゅ when you’re given vocab within WK. While the と cases are mostly derivative of 取る, it doesn’t change the fact that you get quizzed about those derivatives far more often than the on’yomi, so it gets drowned in all those different applications of と.

Though, ultimately, this whole thing is moreso me voicing my confusion about the thought process rather than demand any substantial changes.

1 Like

Personally, the less common the on’yomi of a kanji is, the more I want to at least learn it once, with the kanji lesson/reviews. This way, I have an opportunity to learn both reasonably well. I’ve noticed I struggle much more with on’yomi that are only presented later in a vocab, to the point where, these days, I make an effort to get a wiggle out of such reviews first. Recent example: 戻. I’ve known the kanji with its kunyomi (もどる) before, I don’t need to learn this again… so I enter れい, get a wiggle, and then pacify the crabigator with the expected input. I’d do the same with 取, because forgetting such a common kunyomi is equivalent with forgetting the meaning, in my experience.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.