博士の愛した数式 - The Housekeeper and the Professor 🎓🧮 (Intermediate Book Club)

Perfect, thanks a lot! I‘ll update the schedule tomorrow.

I’m still not sure if/when I’ll read the book (busy with 獣の奏者 and 本好き right now), but I just bought the ebook so I have it.

2 Likes

Went ahead and bought the ebook and look forward to reading it. However, I am a little confused about what exactly start date entails. Does this mean we should start reading that section from that day, or does it mean that is the start date for discussing said section (and we should read it earlier)?

As far as I’m aware, this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes.

And also yes.

But no to this.

The start date is when you should start reading and the discussion lasts a week from there. People comment throughout the week as they are reading or when they finish the section.

6 Likes

If you fear that you wont keep up with the pace you can preread too. I would recommend to just don’t go too far ahead or you wont be able to participate in the conversations as much or accidentially spoil some parts.
I take bookclubs mainly as motivation and use them to clarify parts I’m unsure about. Having a shedule and people you can discuss parts with is a great motivation. How you participate is totally up to you though.
You can always use the older threads if you fall back too.

6 Likes

Well, this might sound slightly confusing, so to clarify this for @Molius : the discussion is not stopped at any point in time - people can (and often do!) still ask questions and discuss stuff much later! So if you happen to fall behind, don’t worry and just keep asking. There will still be people around who are happy to help.
It’s just that the scheduled timeslot for reading a given section is one week, after which we move to the next section.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone. It appears that the schedule is simply a general guideline to keep us all from diverging and promote discussion. I will go ahead and read early just to get my bearings for the first half chapter, then try my best to stick to the schedule from there.

10 Likes

I have started reading and it takes me about one hour and a half for the equivalent of one book page - with the help of kaku, jisho, ichi.moe, google translate and (most importantly) my German edition of the book which is almost a litteral translation.

So I don’t think that I will be able to keep up with the planned pace. Nevertheless I will struggle through the book and hope to profit from your discussions here, although much later.

5 Likes

That sounds painful! Have you considered joining one of the book clubs that read easier material? The Beginner Book Club and Absolute Beginner Book Club read easier Manga and Books, and also at a slower pace. You can find all book clubs listed here:

Of course you can also read a book that has been read by the club before, and use their discussion threads (and still ask questions there!).

Good luck!

4 Likes

I am at my second book at the Absolute Beginner Book Club and I have already subscribed for the next book of biographies. Nevertheless I will try to read 博士の愛した数式 at my own pace and I am looking forward to your discussions here. I hope that with time I will get a little faster and learn some vocabulary and grammar on the way.

3 Likes

And this is how it all began…

7 Likes

I’m really sad, but I don’t have time at the moment to commit to more book clubs :slightly_frowning_face: This sounded really interesting as well, so I was actually looking forward to it a lot, but I wouldn’t be able to keep up with what little time I manage to dig free for Japanese at the moment :sob:

7 Likes

Week 2 is here, and it comes at us at full speed with 16 pages. If you can master this, you are prepared for everything :star_struck:

4 Likes

We are on our way to week 3 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s see how Chapter 2 is going to end:

2 Likes

This week will take us to the 25% milestone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Week 6 is about to start!

1 Like

Week 7 takes us to Chapter 4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s find out how this episode is going to end!

1 Like