博士の愛した数式 - The Housekeeper and the Professor 🎓🧮 (Intermediate Book Club)

Hm, I see, that’s sad to hear :frowning:

Google translate is better than nothing. And from there I can copy/paste into other dictionaries.

1 Like

I thought so too until recently, but you actually can. You need to hold the mouse click down a bit until you get a cursor. Then you can select text and it opens up a separate window, where you can hover for rikaichamp to read it. Talk about unintuitive…

5 Likes

Good news. I just found an Android app named kaku which can do a dictionary lookup based on OCR. The handling is a bit unusual, but it works on all apps including bookwalker. You have a frame that you have to move and adjust on the text you want to translate. With a double click kaku simply opens a window on top of the running app.
Here is a screenshot from the first page of the book:

2 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! Glad there is such a great solution available for you :slight_smile:

Will keep that in mind for the next time when I need it, thanks!

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m new here and I am curious how certain books are determined to be suitable for different levels of the book clubs. I apologize if this information is posted elsewhere! I’m very excited to read along with you all! (My copy just came today <3 !)

7 Likes

It’s in the first post of the various book clubs. Rules are roughly the same across the board, the major differences being numerical values (length of text, approximate difficulty).

Rules for nomination in the intermediate book club

Anyway, welcome! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I get approximately the pages that @Kumirei showed in the photos when I set a font size of 150% in portrait view (bookwalker full screen on a 10.5" tablet). The page numbers differ by 2 as my text begins on page 4.

1 Like

The delay is a little annoying, but I’ve been using the Bookwalker app on my laptop that way for a while now and you get used to it pretty quickly.

I somehow accidentally ordered two copies (???), So if anyone wants a paper copy, I will send it to you for the cost of US shipping. (Ships from Minnesota)

5 Likes

May I have the other copy if no one else wants it, I can pay shipping through PayPal if that’s okay

Sure! What’s your address, (or zip code, at least) so I can calculate the cost?

Can I send it to you privately through email, mine is anjoh987@gmail.com

1 Like

Any updates on when this is likely to start?

So far, the decision was September 19th. No one has raised any objection.

3 Likes

Oh, I had forgotten to update the schedule with the start date, thanks for the reminder. It’s fixed now.

Also, I’ve added the page numbers inside the chapters where it might be a good idea to stop for the week.
If anybody (or several people) with a physical book could be so kind and check whether these pages contain a break? And post the last sentence before that break here?
Or, if there is no break, maybe there is something that looks like a good place to stop anyways? Or maybe there is a break nearby the page? … You get the idea.
That would be enormously helpful for me as I can only figure out so much from the ebook. Thank you!

3 Likes

On page 18 there is a natural break. Last sentence:

博士の数字攻撃に音を上げて一週間で馘になった古参の家政婦が、しみじみと言っていた。

Here are ideas I have for stopping places based on the physical copy!
week 3: pg 46-48 seems to be in the middle of a conversation…so that is tough.
week 9: also middle of conversation, but maybe could end at 「皆、引退してしまっている」which is the final line of that page (134)
week 11: after first line of the page 162 「すべてが元通りだった。」
week 13: pg 188「。。。理解している人の目だと思った」
week 17: pg 242 (which ends the sentence from the previous page 「そのために私たちはますます焦った」

Thanks @Wildjinjer and @Jalanib for your suggestions! (And sorry for my late response, I was too busy to properly dive into this…)

Interestingly, I don’t see a break at your suggested line in my ebook, but I see one about a page earlier, ending with 博士が動くと、メモ用紙がこすれて、かさこそ、かさこそ、音がした。What do you think about that one? Maybe it’s on page 17?

For the other breaks, I checked my ebook and found these spots, what pages would these be on?

Week 3: 二人の会話に耳を傾けていた。(16%) Hopefully somewhat close to page 47?

Week 5: ルートは乱れた髪を撫でつけた。(27%) This is probably later than page 78 though…

Week 7: 助けてやってください。お願いします。(36%) About page 106?

Week 15: There is no break anywhere near, but I found those two options:
頭のてっぺんが、平らなんです」(74%)
明日、朝日が射して暑くなれば、何だってすぐに乾くさ」(75%)
Which one would be closer to page 214?

Thanks for your help everybody!

Yes, that break is on page 17!

is the middle of page 49 for us.

is the last sentence of pg 79

is in the first section of page 107 before a break

頭のてっぺんが、平らなんです is on page 214

明日、朝日が射して暑くなれば、何だってすぐに乾くさ is on page 216

1 Like