中止 synonym

Does the word 中止 imply the possibility of resumption of the concerned activity, or would it have to be restarted from zero?
I ask because, if it is the case that the activity subject to 中止 can be resumed, then would “pause” be a good synonym for the word? Or would “pause” be too soft and imply an ease of resumption that is counter to the usage of this word?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Machines (e.g. atm, vending machines, etc) that are currently out of order display 中止. I would not call it a “pause”. :thinking:

5 Likes

I think 中止 is more for unintended “stops in the middle” for processes or events. They can be temporary like suspension, but it rather sounds like something is seriously wrong.

“Pause” sounds like someone is resting a bit, as in 休止. Maybe it also doesn’t carry the “unintendedness” properly.

5 Likes

Yeah, I agree that 休止 sounds more like a restart is intended. I think it’s possible for things that are 中止 to be restarted, but it’s not implied in the usage of the word.

2 Likes

Thanks folks!
What would the word be to describe the pausing of a movie or song?

That kind of pause is 一時停止

13 Likes

Funny question because just last week, I successfully lobbied the great Crabigator to get “cancellation “ added as a synonym for 中止. I think “cancellation” gets much closer to the meaning of 中止 than does “suspension” or “pause”. And the three example sentences given bear this out.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.