Week 1 Sep 17th 第37話 七夕メーン
Week 2 Sep 24th 第38話 タイフーンスクリーム
Week 3 Oct 1st 第39話 ひっさつ!
Week 4 Oct 8th 第40話 小さな巨人
Week 5 Oct 15th 第41話 やることない日
Week 6 Oct 22nd 第42話 あたり
Week 7 Oct 29th 第43話 最後もうで

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
4 Likes

第37話 七夕メーン

Start Date: 2022-09-16T15:00:00Z

It’s a couple of months late for Tanabata, but here we are.

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

3 Likes
I don't get it either.

nani

4 Likes
My best guess is...

…that the pose is like a rapper-type pose with メーン being “men” as explained here:

メーンの意味って何?【練マザのD.Oがよく言うセリフ】 | HIPHOP脳アジト

However, I feel like I’m probably missing something.

3 Likes
Meta

This is clearly meta-commentary by the author saying “I know, it isn’t funny” hahaha

3 Likes

Huh. I just noticed the back covers tell a story.

What happens next? Well, that would be a spoiler, wouldn’t it.

メーン!

6 Likes

第38話 タイフーンスクリーム

Start Date: 2022-09-23T15:00:00Z

No メーン allowed.

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

4 Likes

This chapter not exactly packed with strenuous dialogue. :stuck_out_tongue: Though, those looks of horror on Yui and Kotoha’s faces. Heh.

I’ve been through a typhoon in Japan. Spent the worst of it in my hotel, and it honestly didn’t seem too bad when I stuck my head out the window a few times, but I discovered a landslide near the hotel a couple of days later, evidence of significant flooding in Utsunomiya a few days after that, and much of the Hokuriku shikensen fleet was flooded. Also experienced a 傘意味ない moment here in Australia - I was out at a street market event when it abruptly started raining so hard that the raindrops were going clean through the umbrella.

Incidentally, the banner in the second panel is for the National Museum of Western Art. Don’t think I’ve mentioned that. Wondering if their hideout is nearby.

メーン

5 Likes

Be ready for the next chapter. :grin:

3 Likes

第39話 ひっさつ!

Start Date: 2022-09-30T15:00:00Z

Pokémon taught me this chapter’s title back in the 1990’s!

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

4 Likes

I need help with these two. :pray:

p.40 ものかだ

39 monoka p40

p. 51 メラ

39 mela p51

2 Likes

I remember being confused by this one at first as well. ものか is the older sister’s name.

Edit: Oops, I misremembered first thing in the morning! The sisters are ももか and ののか, so together you get ものか.

p. 51 メラ

It’s めーん all over again =(

Looking into it, the only thing I could find as seemingly potentially related is a wizard’s spell from Dragon Quest called メラ, but even if that were the case (would ののか know about Dragon Question video games?), I can’t figure out how 邪魔 would be pronounced as メラ.

I did find this blog post that also supposes Dragon Quest, but doesn’t shed any extra light on how it might be connected.

4 Likes

Thanks! I forget the names of the sisters all the time.
You know this manga is not beginner friendly at all. Because understanding a joke in a foreign language is actually hard. :sweat_smile: In addition to that trendy jokes get outdated fast. So, we will never know…

4 Likes
My thoughts on Pg. 51

Seeing the pose Kotoha takes, and comparing it to artwork that comes up when searching メラドラクエ:

I wonder if the メラみたいな発音 isn’t trying to say that 邪魔 would ever have that reading/pronunciation, but rather that Kotoha is saying ジャマ! in a similar cadence as the characters casting the spell メラ in the game…assuming Dragon quest is voiced in fights. It’s been way too long since I’ve played one to know if they are voiced or not (I was like…10 the last time I played one I think, and barely remember it), but that is the only way it makes sense to me.

Actually, sorry to ping you @Daisoujou, but I think I remember seeing you mention playing the series somewhere before… is Dragon Quest voiced when characters cast spells in fights?

4 Likes

Was playing 11 for a while but I don’t have experience with the other games really. That said… there are some general battle grunts or short lines, though IIRC they don’t say the spell names that way. I believe DQ11 actually didn’t have voice acting at all in Japanese until the S rerelease so I wouldn’t expect that kind of thing to be a default assumption, for sure.

4 Likes

Thank you, the scene makes sense now. She is pronouncing an ordinary word like a spell so the sisters do not recognize the word (what it means) at first. I’ve tried this technique with a similar sounding word (masa, which means table) in my native language (another pitch-accent language) and it works. It sounds like a totally different word.

4 Likes

I’m trying to work out what サンヘーホーノテーリ in the first panel of page 44 is supposed to be. Almost certainly a mathematical mnemonic of some description, but what? All I got from the first bunch of Google results was a few pages going “Saw this in Mitsuboshi Colours. What’s it mean? I dunno” (with one adding “English is haaaard”).

Bottom of page 45, Nonoka’s magic spell is a mnemonic for the digits of root 2.

1ヒト.41ヒト431ヒト356

Page 50, I feel like this whole explanation from Kotoha is just covering for the fact that she’d use 邪魔 on people anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, while googling stuff, I happened to come across this:

http://hissatuwaza.kill.jp/setume/3kara.htm

6 Likes

It is 三平方さんへいほう定理ていり = Pythagorean theorem.
Here is more about the mnemonic on p.45= 一夜一夜に人見ごろ - ウィクショナリー日本語版

Just realized, My math knowledge actually helps me while reading Japanese. Wow.

6 Likes

Gah. I didn’t even consider replacing the vowel extenders with actual vowels. Why didn’t I?

5 Likes

Dunno.
I am more like “Dear Mangaka,
Please set aside your artistic choices and use kanji+furigana so that I can understand what you mean. I am juggling with more than one language/dictionary over here, you know.
PS: No abbreviations either. I am terrible at them.”

Yeah, something like that. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes