三ツ星カラーズ Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

I’m interested in joining. I plan to darastically increase the amount I’m reading, and need more simple stuff to consume.

6 Likes

Seems Interesting. Just ordered it from Manga Republic, Hope it arrives on time

6 Likes

Three weeks left until we begin!

Now is a good time to solidify the schedule.

This manga volume is nine chapters long, easily fitting into nine weeks.

However, the first two chapters are heavier on dialogue than the rest of the volume.

Those first weeks are a crucial time, when it’s easiest to scare away new readers. “I’m in over my head.” “I can’t keep up pace.”

How does everyone feel we should pace out the first two chapters?

• 11-Week Club: Give chapters 1 and 2 each two weeks.
  • 10-Week Club: Give chapters 1 and 2 each one-and-a-half weeks.
  • 10-Week Club: Give chapter 1 two weeks, and chapter 2 one week.
  • 9-Week Club: One week per chapter. No splitting.

0 voters

If @Micki or any other regulars have thoughts from an overall scheduling perspective for the club and when we’d be starting the following pick, Happiness, I’ll give extra weight to that.

8 Likes

haven’t joined a book club since takagi-san, motivated for this one, thanks for setting it up.

5 Likes

I think the 11 week schedule sounds right. Like you say the first weeks are crucial to get the pacing right and this is the absolute beginners book club.

7 Likes

Just bought the book on amazon.jp! Will probably be pretty hard for me but I’ll try to keep up :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am also a newb! Just bought the book. Will be the first Japanese book I ever read:). Good luck everyone! We can do this fellow newbs!
And… I cannot wait until the club starts!

8 Likes

I can read hiragana and katakana on a slow pace and on WaniKani level 2. Is it too early and therefore not efficient for me to join this?

5 Likes

The biggest hurdle to reading will be grammar. You’ll want to be at least somewhat familiar with word types (noun, verb, etc.) and particles before you really jump into reading. The less grammar and fewer words you know, the longer it’ll take to get up and running with reading.

The first three chapters are free online, and we will cover them in the first five weeks of the club (November 13 through December 17). If you’re curious, you can join in for the first two weeks (chapter 1) and see how it goes. You’ll find out quickly if you are able to absorb all the information taking place in the discussion threads, or if you’ll want to hold off until you learn more grammar basics. (You can always come back to the threads in the future if you’d like to read along, but aren’t ready yet.)

If you haven’t seen it, be sure to check out my post from a couple of weeks ago on the topic of readiness. (Select the “Now is a good time” text on the post to expand it.)

9 Likes

Keen to join in with this as my first piece of proper Japanese reading, as I watched (and really enjoyed) the anime recently. I probably have nowhere near enough grammar knowledge yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing how much I can learn before we start.

7 Likes

This was just half off on Amazon last week, but I ended up not buying it. If I knew you all were going to read this I would have bought it and read along!

5 Likes

Doh! I guess by the time we finish reading at ABBC pace it might be on offer again…?

6 Likes

Excited to join this! Did Genki 1 and a few chapters of Genki 2 but took some time off studying Japanese because I wanted to restart with WaniKani and more actual native material rather than only textbooks. This seems to be perfect for my level.

8 Likes

Lmao isn’t this where that clip of the kids with the rocket launcher comes from

3 Likes

Which clip?

3 Likes
10 Likes

Not only did you beat me to it, but you managed to mark it as a spoiler before I could comment on it being a spoiler =D

Although, I don’t think this scene is in volume one. (For anyone curious.)

Edit: It’s from volume two.

6 Likes

Ahaha. I posted it, then realised it could be a spoiler right as I hit post. :sweat_smile:

It was seeing that scene in memes that made me decide to read this one, if I’m being totally honest. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Book recieved, I’m ready to start!

15 Likes

While we wait, now is a good time for a casual stroll, taking in the sights and the sounds of the Ameyoko marketplace. Listen long enough and you’ll hear a train pass by. Keep an eye out, and you may even see a panda. Soak in the atmosphere.

13 Likes