三ツ星カラーズ — Week 7 Discussion (ABBC)

Thanks for all the extra reading on さすが. I suspect this is going to be my new という in terms of how many times it will stump me before I start to get a feel for it.

That said, I’m still not clear how we can be sure about that “(they wouldn’t go)” in your translation. I always struggle whenever a negative is omitted - how am I supposed to know to fill it in? Why is it "Sure enough, (they wouldn’t go) somewhere like toward the station.”, and not just "Sure enough, (they would go) somewhere like toward the station.” The station is right next to the park, so I’m thinking they could have gone towards the station even without leaving the park, couldn’t they?

3 Likes

The negation came from the previous sentence in this case: でも公園より外に出ないよね

The 駅の方とかはさすがに is a direct continuation of that sentence. I also treated 方 less as it’s “direction” meaning, and lean more towards “area” (which still implies a particular direction, but is more focused than a general direction.)

I basically imagined a comma after the first sentence to piece it all together in my head:

でも公園よりに出ないよね、駅の方とかさすがに.

But (they) wouldn’t go outside of the park, or somewhere like to the area of the train station, certainly/surely/naturally (pick your flavor of さすがに).

If you interpret 方 as just a general direction (going towards the station, but remaining in the park), I can see the confusion, but with it being explicitly tied to the train station, I think it’s less general, and you still definitely have to leave the park to reach the station, so when the whole phrase is attached to the previous sentence, it makes sense.

6 Likes

As @MrGeneric mentions, it’s because it’s tying back to the prior sentence.

Looking at this again on a new day, and freshly reading only the one さすがに word balloon in isolation, I completely understand the interpretation of “Sure enough, (they would go) somewhere like toward the station.”

If we extend our scope a bit, here’s what takes place:

In the first panel, Yui establishes the topic as 範囲(はんい) (range). While は and も are the primary ways to establish a topic, because the topic is simply what one is talking about, the (indirect) quote marker って works to establish a topic as well. That’s what we have here (「そういえば、範囲(はんい)ってどこまでなんだろう」), as she wonders what the range of hiding is.

The second panel doesn’t have a topic specified, as it’s carrying over the same topic of 範囲. She’s still commenting on the range, as she considers that they should have established it in advance, what the range would be.

Going into the third panel, she’s still talking about the same thing, 範囲, the range. Here, she’s saying the others wouldn’t go outside of the park. In Yui’s mind, this establishes the range as within the limits of being inside of the park.

Still in panel three, she then introduces a new topic: 「駅の方とか」. Now she’s talking about a location outside what she believes to be the sensible range for hiding, and her comment is さすがに. This means that going somewhere like the station is as Yui expects. That expectation is what she figured in the prior word balloons: the range of the game is within the park, and therefore something like the station is sure enough, outside of bounds, as she’s figured.

7 Likes

Ah, right, regarding them as one sentence does the trick. I took them as two different sentences (the second one troublingly incomplete), and so interpreted the second one as contrasting the first.

See, that’s why I feel manga are harder than novels. They are basically spoken language written down, with all its quirks, and I feel I’m often missing a lot of nuance because of lack of exposure (and lack of all the clues actual spoken language carries in the way it’s spoken). Prose seems much more straightforward to me.

Oh, that’s interesting. I had been wondering about that は, I felt like it gave me some new information but wasn’t sure exactly what. The way you put it makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

I can definitely understand that feeling; the only reason why I tend to have an easier time with manga over prose is that I have actually practiced reading manga in Japanese, and have only just started with prose. I sat down and read my first whole chapter of a light novel yesterday evening, and it took me about 2 hours to get through about 19 pages because it’s so different from what I’m used to. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Had hoped against hope that as Westerners, this was how Guns And Roses had localised the title of their sixth album into Japanese.

2 Likes

IMG_1031 (002)

I think the last kanji may be 所, and second-to-last may be a very sparse 理??

2 Likes

上野公園管理所 maybe? Very maybe?

Citation:

It’s definitely 上野公園, though.

6 Likes

And the Master of Finding Real Stuff in Ueno comes through yet again! :star_struck: :tada:

2 Likes

Ueno Park Administration/Management Office

(Sorry, didn’t mean to reply to you Belthazar :pensive:)

1 Like