ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

My spouse just asked me if I could read this (from an airplane magazine) - while I had to look up the meanings of the 2nd and 3rd pairs, I could sound out the whole lot! I’m feeling rather chuffed :blush:

平和 へいわ Peace
友情 ゆうじょう Friendship
正義 せいぎ Justice

7 Likes

I tried to read it from the top-right going down…

13 Likes

Thank god I wasn’t the only one

9 Likes

That’s how I started too, but even before starting to try to read I was confused by the fact there were not just 4 characters.

2 Likes

Frustratingly, the article doesn’t directly address the use of these kanji on each of its 6 pages, but the article is about the British Commonwealth Occupation Force, so we are supposing it was their motto (which might go a long way to explain the reading direction…)

1 Like

It turns out I perhaps shouldn’t have needed to look up that last pair of kanji, as they feature prominently in my “Welcome to level 21” email from こういち先輩. I guess that’s why SRS is a thing - you need to see it more than once to remember it (or in my case, to even remember that you’ve seen it).

From the email:

You can look forward to kanji like 敵 (enemy), 増 (increase), and 義 (righteousness)––which is one half of 正義 (justice).

I look forward to our time together in death.

2 Likes

@Kyasurin - are you safe? Don’t know whereabouts you live but just read the Baldivis fire is moving rapidly north.

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of me. I live quite centrally in Perth, but am actually currently in Taipei. :sweat_smile:
It is the worst summer ever for fires though. :sob:

2 Likes

Good to hear you’re very safe and that you shouldn’t be coming home to cinders! Enjoy your time away!

2 Likes

Last week’s plan went up in flames on day one, pretty much (assorted internal and external factors).

I have stopped all 3 SRSs. I am now behind in にゃんにゃん探偵団.

This week’s plan is to actually finish last week’s plan with particular focus on getting caught up with the book club. If things are going well, I will restart the SRSs.

7 Likes

I have caught back up to speed with the book club (I had to - the current (slower) schedule is the one I begged for, so it would be shameful to not finish the book with everyone else). It is quite satisfying to do when it is going well (it seems like the only place I get to actually apply what I’m learning), but it is time-consuming (n+10 instead of n+1 learning), so I’m toying with dropping out of the next scheduled read to have more time for non-Japanese bits of my life, and to stay away from book clubs until I have at least finished both Genki I and Shin Nihongo no Kiso I which should be about the end of June.

I took WK off vacation mode yesterday and am only doing reviews until I catch back up (it took a day and a half to realise I needed VM). The other SRSs are still on vacation until I start doing lessons in WK.

Next week’s informal plan is to finish にゃんにゃん探偵団 and to finish off left over pages from the mess that was the last two weeks of text and workbook studies.

6 Likes

I’m back! I turned off WK vacation mode just under an hour ago and did my first batch of reviews (67) and got a fairly lousy number right, but that is to be expected with no real study for the last 7 weeks. Thanks to @rawrdinosaur posting in their study log for giving me the impetus to get going again!

10 Likes

My accuracy in WK during the last week has not been great (as expected), but I didn’t take it to heart, and it is slowly improving. I’ve not started doing lessons yet as my many mistakes led to a spike in Apprentice and Guru numbers - I will continue without lessons this coming week until I get my Apprentice close to 0 and my Guru down to I’m not sure what, but I certainly want most of my Guru leeches sorted.

I have found I’m also having a hard time recalling my mnemonics system after 7 weeks off, so daily recall of a portion of those has been put in the schedule each morning in lieu of WK lessons.

It has become apparent that if something doesn’t have a checkbox beside it in my plan, it can easily get missed, so for the foreseeable future the 毎日 portion of my plans is gone and replaced with very repetitive daily items lists.

Similar to rawrdinosaur’s observations in their study log, I think the 3 SRSs I was using got a bit too much. I plan to leave off with Bunpro for the time being, and will slowly get back into Kitsun after I’m comfortable doing lessons on WK once more - as with WK, I’ll only do reviews for the first while (I am many chapters further ahead in Kitsun than in the actual Genki text and workbook, so I have plenty of leeway).

Next week’s plan is focussed on finishing にゃんにゃん探偵団 before getting back to my textbook studies.

8 Likes

I just had this pop up after I finished my 11am review session - how nice to be reminded of my overall progress at this period when I’m going relatively slowly.

A shout out to @gth99 and their Level-Up Celebrator - I didn’t even know it would keep track of this sort of thing as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

It’s so hard to notice that you’re about to hit burnout stage before you hit it and have to stop altogether. I’m also back to focusing almost exclusively on WaniKani until I’m done with it, with just a sprinkling of FloFlo to keep things interesting.

YEEAAAAAH! :grin:

4 Likes

That and the 17 book clubs you’re not only in but running!! :books: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

sshhhhhhh! :joy:

3 Likes

Alright! I’ve revamped my study plans a lot:

1. Genki is being put on the back burner - it is more time-consuming and requires a lot more language production (esp. writing), so since I’ve already put Kitsun Genki vocab SRS aside, the books themselves will go for the time being and I’ll be focussing on Shin Nihongo no Kiso and Basic Kanji.

2. Revamped study plan layout - since removing the 毎日 sections added greatly to how much room it took up and how repetative it was, I have colour-coded and streamlined it slightly to make it more user-friendly

3. Adjusted study times - we have just passed the autumnal equinox here, and as I get up at first light my days are starting slightly later each morning, which in the depths of winter has had me scheduled to study just after getting up :weary: I’m hoping the later times suit better until spring.

I’m happy to say I feel ready to start back up with WK lessons from tomorrow morning.

Next week’s study plan:

6 Likes

I’ve just realised that the new わんわん探偵団 book club starts in 2 weeks, not 1. Revised study plan…

1 Like