レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 2 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

LOL you and me both! Lockdown has really let me tap into my Inner Baker. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi guys! I know I´m a little late but just in case someone comes back or has the time to answer. What´s the specific grammar point of the te-form in お土産があって? Is it connective? Sorry! I know we´re now on week 3, but I can´t find the answer to this in the thread :pray: :persevere:

5 Likes

It’s never too late, even if it were over a year later =D

Page 15

It is indeed. In Japanese, leaving sentences unfinished is common. It’d be like in English saying, “I went shopping today and bought us a snack, so…” The rest of the sentence is typically implied by context.

However, for Kanami’s line, you don’t have to try and figure out the remainder by context, as she continues with her thought on the next page.

7 Likes

Many thanks!!! :relaxed: :relaxed:

Ahh now I get it! Wow, I´ll never stop surprising myself on how powerful context actually is in Japanese. Many thanks again for your help! It was a difficult work week for me and that´s why I had to slow a bit with the reading. This week will be back to normal :muscle: :muscle:

4 Likes

Hi guys! Quick fire question if someone has the time. I was working through the て form and I just wondered why this present continuative form is like this:

おいていっちゃう instead of おいていちゃう

I thought the て form of いる was いて :exploding_head:

4 Likes

If いて is いる, then いって must be 行って or 言って :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ohh so it comes from 行く then! I was obsessed with the fact that it had to be a ている. I got confused with this;

Surely not @Micki´s fault, it´s my lack of understanding :sweat_smile: :sob:

2 Likes

Even though I should very well know いて vs いって by name, I still mistake it all the time, and I think I have here on the forums as well. (Thanks to those who’ve corrected me in the past!)

This is why I like using ichi.moe so much:

Screenshot_20200825_070147

Not only does it (in this case) show that it’s 行く, but it says this as an expression, which helps me connect “put + go” as “put something down, and then go away = to leave behind”.

6 Likes

Many thanks for the info!! :pray: :relaxed: For sure I´ll be checking ichi.moe much more often!

Good spot! I completely missed that! Have gone back and corrected :grinning:

1 Like

Cheers! I´m glad to have been helpful! :relaxed: :muscle:

2 Likes

Which page is this?

1 Like

Oops sorry! I forgot to put the page number. It´s page 21. Thanks for reminding!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

たくさん (a lot) の (of) お金 (Money) なんて (such as) いらなかった (past negative tense Of いる-don’t need) から (because) 帰ってきてよ (come back).

I interpret it as the parents are dead and probably left them with some insurance money (though not mentioned). She doesn’t need such an amount of money and would rather have them back alive?

1 Like

That’s right. Christopher broke down the sentence in detail here.

1 Like

Here’s a short video on making プリン. Be sure to turn on subtitles.

1 Like

Have you tried making them yet?

1 Like

For me personally, it’s made up mostly of ingredients with flavors I dislike, so I’ll leave it to others to try out.

1 Like