レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 2 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Is it worth pointing out that while “pudding” in English refers to all kinds of desserts, プリン in Japanese seems to usually refer to a particular type of dessert - a dessert that in English I would call a “custard pudding”. If you type プリン into a search engine and look at images you’ll see what I mean.

5 Likes

Hehe, I’m actually an American living in Australia who happens to also have a few UK friends. Pudding is a fun word that illustrates how one simple word can be interpreted so differently even in English. ^-^

In Japanese - pudding definitely refers to the picture you’ve shown - something I would refer to as “flan”.

In British English - pudding seems to refer to sweets/desserts in general (“a bit of pud”).

In American English - pudding is the thick creamy stuff usually made with heavy cream and no eggs. Like this:

8 Likes

Here in Brazil our pudding also looks like this, although I don’t know if the ingredients are the same — not exactly a kitchen savvy myself.

We call it “Pudim de Leite Condensado”, or “Condensed Milk Pudding” in free translation.

Now I’m hungry.

3 Likes

Pudding has so many different meanings here. It can be the course of a meal like you said but it can also be used in the names of actual dishes as well like Christmas pudding, sticky toffee pudding, Yorkshire pudding, black pudding etc

However just to confuse things, not every dish that has pudding in its name would be eaten during the pudding/dessert course of a meal as some of them are savoury not sweet.

I think the Japanese style pudding looks like a crème caramel :thinking:

8 Likes

One again this thread is really great. This is my first manga so some of the casual stuff i dont catch on with, and some sentences I thought I knew but when checking here I see that I was using some wrong grammar. Thanks a lot guys!

also im already crying 20 pages in

4 Likes

Week 3 discussion thread is up - click here.

6 Likes

For the curious, here’s a list of dialogue changes from original release to the commercial release:

Page 13

13pixiv 13commercial

Although I’m not focusing on art changes, I find it interesting that all instances of the doorway to Kanami’s brother’s room changed from black to white.

Page 14

Alongside from improvements to the font (bigger, bolder), Kanami’s 「お兄ちゃん」 has 兄 changed to 兄・ to emphasize the difference when she’s speaking to her real brother, versus her rental brother.

Her silence was also changed from 「…」 to 「…………」, which has been a common change.

Page 15

No changes to dialogue. (Just another 「…」 stretched out.)

15pixiv 15commercial

The light switch on the wall was moved lower to more properly reflect Kanami’s height.

Page 17

A small change to Kanami’s dialogue. An 「あのね」 was removed, and a 「だから」 was added in.

17pixiv 17commercial

Original: 「あのね お兄ちゃん… 一緒に叶実と一緒に」

Commercial: 「お兄ちゃん… だから一緒に… 叶実と一緒に…」

Page 20

Minor art correction. Kanami’s white sock was corrected to black for the commercial release.

20pixiv1

Kanami’s dialogue while speaking to her parents was slightly adjusted to be less direct about their deaths:

Original: 「パパとママが死んで 変わっちゃった」

Commercial: 「パパとママがいなくなって 変わっちゃった」

Kanami’s final word on the page had a kanji change, as well:

20pixiv2 20commercial2

Original: 「淋しいよ」

Commercial: 「寂しいよ」

The original kanji could be read as さびしい or さみしい. The replaced kanji can only be read as さびしい. (Not that it matters either way, as furigana is provided.

Page 21

さびしい received the same kanji change, as well as Kanami’s dialogue receiving a whole new font to help convey the emotion in her voice. Her second word balloon actually gained a kanji, going from 「ひとり」 to 「独り」. This makes her line less ambiguous, as ひとり when written as 一人 refers to being alone, whereas written ひとり written as 独り emphasizes the feeling of loneliness.

Big Brother’s line changed from 「着信か」 to 「着信?」

21pixiv2 21commercial2

11 Likes

That’s what I’d call it too.

When we started this book I found this website which describes them, and also, if you’re feeling adventurous, how to make a similar one at home.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/no-bake-creme-caramel/

4 Likes

Many thanks everyone for the great thread!! I´ve been absolutely swamped with work this week and for that reason I´ve been absent from the discussion. I´ve been working through the pages just tonight (here in Spain is now 1:30 in the morning) and thanks to your contributions it´s been so much straightforward and rewarding. Cheers! :relaxed: :relaxed:

4 Likes

Baking is the one area of ‘cooking’ that I actually have some skill at so I’m very tempted :joy:

1 Like

LOL you and me both! Lockdown has really let me tap into my Inner Baker. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi guys! I know I´m a little late but just in case someone comes back or has the time to answer. What´s the specific grammar point of the te-form in お土産があって? Is it connective? Sorry! I know we´re now on week 3, but I can´t find the answer to this in the thread :pray: :persevere:

5 Likes

It’s never too late, even if it were over a year later =D

Page 15

It is indeed. In Japanese, leaving sentences unfinished is common. It’d be like in English saying, “I went shopping today and bought us a snack, so…” The rest of the sentence is typically implied by context.

However, for Kanami’s line, you don’t have to try and figure out the remainder by context, as she continues with her thought on the next page.

7 Likes

Many thanks!!! :relaxed: :relaxed:

Ahh now I get it! Wow, I´ll never stop surprising myself on how powerful context actually is in Japanese. Many thanks again for your help! It was a difficult work week for me and that´s why I had to slow a bit with the reading. This week will be back to normal :muscle: :muscle:

4 Likes

Hi guys! Quick fire question if someone has the time. I was working through the て form and I just wondered why this present continuative form is like this:

おいていっちゃう instead of おいていちゃう

I thought the て form of いる was いて :exploding_head:

4 Likes

If いて is いる, then いって must be 行って or 言って :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ohh so it comes from 行く then! I was obsessed with the fact that it had to be a ている. I got confused with this;

Surely not @Micki´s fault, it´s my lack of understanding :sweat_smile: :sob:

2 Likes

Even though I should very well know いて vs いって by name, I still mistake it all the time, and I think I have here on the forums as well. (Thanks to those who’ve corrected me in the past!)

This is why I like using ichi.moe so much:

Screenshot_20200825_070147

Not only does it (in this case) show that it’s 行く, but it says this as an expression, which helps me connect “put + go” as “put something down, and then go away = to leave behind”.

6 Likes

Many thanks for the info!! :pray: :relaxed: For sure I´ll be checking ichi.moe much more often!

Good spot! I completely missed that! Have gone back and corrected :grinning:

1 Like