スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You 🚬 Volume 3

Welcome to the Volume 3 discussion thread for スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You

This is an offshoot book club of スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You, which we read together with the Beginner Book Club. Due to popular demand, we will continue reading here at a slower pace!

Following other offshoot clubs, as less activity is expected, there won’t be weekly threads - it’ll just be this thread, with a post by me every week to indicate that it’s time for a new chapter.

You can find the main thread for the book club here: スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You).

Natively

Proposed Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 16th of December Chapter 25 3 to 30 28
Week 2 23rd of December Chapter 25 一前 and 一後 31 to 46 16
Week 3 30th of December Chapters 26 47 to 76 30
Week 4 6th of January 書き下ろし 77 to 98 22
Week 5 13th of January Chapter 26 一前 and 一後 99 to 114 16
Week 6 20th of January Chapter 27 115 to 144 30
Week 7 27th of January Chapters 27 一前 and 一後 145 to 160 15
Week 8 3rd of February Chapter 28 161 to 197 37

Vocabulary

Tbd?

6 Likes

I haven’t actually bought the volume yet (I used the amazon preview), so the schedule might be a bit wonky. There are quite a few longer chapters, so this makes the volume a bit of a faster read than the previous ones. If someone knows how many pages the last chapter has though, please let me know

4 Likes

Just counting pages since I couldn’t find any printed page numbers in the physical copy.

Chapters 27 一前 and 一後 pages 145 to 160
Chapter 28 pages 161 to 197

5 Likes
Week 2 23rd of December Chapter 25 一前 and 一後 31 to 46 16

Week 2 is starting today! I am actually a bit later myself and still have to read last week too… hopefully I’ll have time during the holidays.

5 Likes
Week 3 30th of December Chapter 26 47 to 76 30

Another week, and we will be reading chapter 26 now!

4 Likes

Why is this thread so silent? Did I overdo it with my commentary? :sweat_smile:

Volume 3 is off to a great start. I’ll post some panels & discuss them as always. The second volume was maybe a bit slower due to re-introduction in 月刊ビッグガンガン, now we are proceeding full steam ahead…

Chapters 25 & 26

なんか最近

That’s a big-ass なんか最近 for all of us. 田山’s reflection skills are up to a par. Also, moments before a disaster, as usual…

The most horribly drawn-out, MS Paint -handdrawn 既婚きこん I’ve ever seen in any manga so far! What a needle scratch moment!

Of course, we don’t actually give a shit about our customers’ private lives, right?? This panel just oozes atmosphere…

Whoops, 山田さんのメンタル is very much under attack right here. Ding dong, or should I say ピッピッ.

LOOK at this stare. It could cut stone.

Jesus, 佐々木. A little misunderstanding just turned into a real shit-show.

Oof. We haven’t seen our heroine on such a self-doubting defensive stance ever before. Fully get why she’d interpret the signals this way, obviously. She genuinely doesn’t want 佐々木 to fail here. She doesn’t want him to turn into yet another one of the ダル絡みクソ客 she has seen so many times before.

Whoops! ダサい is such a beautiful Japanese word. All thanks to まえざわ and a bit of overthinking it… glad 佐々木 straightened this misunderstanding.

Just love this super-belated, super-汗っぽい あらあら by 大野. Just look at how happy 山田 is after all of the trouble in previous chapter! 大野 has been here before. She understands the situation better than anyone here. Most of all, she doesn’t want 山田 to get hurt.

Super important information: 佐々木 is originally from 三重県. Apparently they mostly speak 関西弁, with a slight little twist… that 田山 is all too happy to surface here.

…やに。

Oof :heart_eyes: It’s panels like these in a manga like this that really sell it. How is the simple addition of nail polish so goddamn effective???

So goddamn close in memories. This is almost too close, rustling my jimmies a bit: 佐々木 remembers the スーパー from eight years ago, just not the details. If this was a realistic story he would immediately remember 山田 back from those days… maybe he does and that’s what’s behind the admiration?

眩しい!

Brief look into 山田’s internal thoughts. I love the tirade. 佐々木 is honestly just being 鈍い here.

Just look at that triumphant フン! What a victory for 山田.

6 Likes

I’ll rescind this, based on a cursory reading of 三重弁 - Wikipedia.

3 Likes

I lived in 三重for a bit…

3 Likes

No we’re still here XD but for me at least I’ve just been busy and haven’t been engaging with the clubs I’m participating in. I’ve got this, the main BBC, and another spinoff.

So far this volume has also been pretty fun, exploring the other characters besides Sasaki and Yamada. I feel like it’s a bit more difficult than vol. 2 but it’s been a good challenge I’d say.

4 Likes

I love your commentary :blush:.

But unfortunately, I’ve had to put this club on hold for now. The second volume felt harder to me than the first and I only managed to catch up after the club had already finished. So right now, it doesn’t really feel doable to read the third volume in addition to my other active book clubs.

5 Likes

Ha ha, no, keep it coming!

I got sidelined by some real life stuff over Xmas but I’ve caught back up again now.

5 Likes

I myself have to confess I haven’t gotten started on volume 3 yet - I keep waiting to buy it and read when I’m done with my weekly reading for other book clubs… which unfortunately doesn’t really end up happening because I’m behind or barely up to date in most of them. I do want to continue with volumes 3 and 4, just not sure when that will happen.

6 Likes

Same - just getting stuck into other matters (and my budget is being constantly assaulted by deals, deals, deals that aren’t sequel series, alas)

5 Likes

Personally, I love your commentary! Winter’s just been crazy busy so I’m not caught up yet

4 Likes
Week 4 6th of January 書き下ろし 77 to 98 22

This week’s part is the 書き下ろし!

6 Likes

Did anybody else find the 書き下ろし more difficult to read than other chapters, or am I just tired today? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, feels like there is a lot of dense text in this chapter, starting from the very first page.

2 Likes
Week 5 13th of January Chapter 26 一前 and 一後 99 to 114 16

We continue with chapter 26 this week!

5 Likes

Aw. It’ll still be a while until I start reading the series again, but the vocab sheets are so useful for the handwritten parts for me.

2 Likes
Week 6 20th of January Chapter 27 115 to 144 30

Two weeks left for this volume.

3 Likes