25 Oct 6-38 ACT 6
1 Nov 39-68 ACT 7
8 Nov 69-98 ACT 8
15 Nov 99-128 ACT 9
22 Nov 129-160 ACT 10
29 Nov 161-190 ACT 11

Resources

4 Likes

Chapter 7 was a really fun read. I laughed a lot!

My favorite vocab: 自業自得

3 Likes

Act 8 always cracks me up. There were so many good moments this week :rofl:

1 Like

Both 7 and 8 acts are hilarious :slight_smile: Love Me section and the uniform are the best!

1 Like

This chapter is the beginning of one of my favorite parts of the series! I accidentally finished the rest of the book because I was so excited :sweat_smile: woops

1 Like

one of my favorite parts of the series

Haha, I know what you mean! I’ve created the new thread in case you want to finish the arc and share you thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for enabling me!

Alrighty for stuff that I read ahead but still happened in vol2:

(spoiler tags just in case, but it’s all pretty vague)

Some of this I relate to a lot, because I am also a sucker for fairytale like stuff. When I get professional makeup and am able to wear fancy clothes I have a similar reaction (though completely internal so I don’t embarrass myself lol). It’s one of the reasons I like Kyoko a lot, besides a bunch of other things of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always get a huge kick out of skills from Kyoko’s past with Sho helping her on the road to beating him.

Wait I lied here’s a spoiler that isn’t vague. This cracked me up.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve last re-read Skip Beat from the beginning but gosh I missed it. Nakamura’s “old” art style cracks me up sometimes (haven’t seen Yashiro with such a sharp chin in a while).

grafik

My shoujo heart skips a beat at this scene every time:

…and then I burst out in laughter just the next page because of how Kyoko and Ren treat and mock each other.

I could go on about all the scenes and small details that I love but I will leave it at that for now.

Btw, the Princess Coup d’Etat arc also has a special place in my heart because I started reading from there. (Skip Beat was first published in my country in a monthly magazine like Hana to Yume and the first issue I bought back then in 2003 had chapters of this arc in it.)

2 Likes

I also just finished volume 2 because I want to watch episode 6 of the anime now. :joy: I think I will continue to watch the respective episodes right after finishing chapters of the manga (one anime episode covers about 2 episodes btw, except for the first episode).

2 Likes

You’re all so fast :sweat_smile: I’ve finished 10th chapter, but I skipped some handwritten parts in last to chapters, so I’ll probably revise them until next week starts.

It is much easier to read when all the vocab is there, so I bet the next chapter will be a charm, thanks for that!

1 Like

I was in a reading spree last weekend, that’s why. (and I think I’m procastinating… I read quite a few manga chapters because I didn’t really want to read Kiki :joy:)

Oh yes, I still skip almost all the handwritten stuff, too. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Now, when I have little more time to explore things I’m not sure about, a couple of question from me :slight_smile:

A long and complex sentence, so I’m a bit confused :slight_smile:

瑠璃子の自分の思い通りにならなきゃなんでも放り出す悪い癖改善する協力して欲しいって頼まれたでしょう。

瑠璃子の自分の思い通り = As Ruriko wants
にならなきゃ = not sure… is it without succeeding?
なんでも放り出す = abandon everything
悪い癖改善する = get rid of bad habit
協力して欲しいって頼まれたでしょう - (President - from context) requested us to help

So together it is “The President asked us to help Ruriko to get rid of her bad habit of quitting whenever she likes without completing (the job - from context)?”

本気で喰わせていただくわ - am I right that 喰うhere is “to defeat a superior”?

A had a couple more questions, but some of them I’ve got while preparing them to post here, because Yomichan helped me with translation of phrases absent in Jisho, or because Jisho is not always good with katakana/hiragana versions of words. I’m a little bit sad that Jisho is limited :frowning: What dictionaries do you use?

1 Like

Jisho and ichi.moe (even though that one maybe doesn’t count as “dictionary”? idk)

The following is just me thinking out loud, I do not claim that I’m right so please correct me when I’m wrong!

Page 164
definitely one of those parts where I didn’t care about grammar and just read on :sweat_smile:

So here ichi.moe tells me ならなきゃ is the negative provisional of なる.

なきゃ is the short form of なければ which is the negative of the eba/ba-conditional or however you want to call it

になる - to become
にならなきゃ - if x does not become (then)
瑠璃子の自分の思い通りにならなきゃ - if it does not go how Ruriko wants then… (and yes, I think “it” can mean job from context)

And wow I think this whole part
瑠璃子の自分の思い通りにならなきゃなんでも放り出す
is a clause that defines her bad habit (悪い癖)?

Yeah, I think that’s kind of the meaning of these two speech bubbles.

Page 167

Or maybe “to threaten a position” would also make sense.

2 Likes