Ch 136 誰がために
Week 3 November 25 54–86 32 pages Ch 137 がらくた
Ch 138 バトンリレー
Week 4 December 2 87–118 32 pages Ch 139 照合結果
Ch 140 計画の穴
Week 5 December 9 119–152 33 pages Ch 141 犯行動機
Ch 142 学びの成果

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
7 Likes

I started reading this week’s first chapter of the volume, and I noticed immediately that something was different with the art style.

As it turns out, with this volume, those of us reading digital just got a resolution boost.

Volume 12 pages: 844x1200

Volume 13 pages: 1440x2048

Page number resolution comparison:

image image

Emiriko comparison (volume 12 100% left, volume 13 100% right):

7 Likes

Yes, it was a very welcome and long overdue change!

6 Likes

I feel like I’m reading a whole different comic…

6 Likes

I completely forgot to post the “week” post.

Chapter 134

Start Date: 2023-11-10T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes
Story comments

I wondered why his soot made a heart shape if the soot above a shadow’s head is supposed to correspond to negative emotions. Emilico’s guess that it was his soot power awakening made sense, although I also agreed with Patrick that that would be s pretty silly power to have :joy:

I’m still not convinced it’s not at least related to a soot power, despite his (very cute) “think about Emilico” test. But most of all, I’m interested in the fact that he seems to have decided not to reject his feelings anymore. I’m really curious how that’s going to go.

7 Likes

I hadn’t been keeping up with the thread and just now realized I was a week ahead (I think it happened during the science gone bad storyline). I guess that just tells you how good this manga can be

On that note, a comment for next week on chapter 135

I feel this way about a lot of the conversations that happen in this manga hahaha

4 Likes

Chapters 135 and 136

Start Date: 2023-11-17T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Chapters 137 and 138

Start Date: 2023-11-24T15:00:00Z

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

6 Likes
Story comments

Man, finding out about the poison ointment just adds another layer of tragedy to Barbara and Barbie. It’s bad enough they’re trying to reunite with someone who’s dead, and still don’t know why Mary Rose stopped trying to excel.

Someone cut them a break :sob:

7 Likes

Chapters 139 and 140

Start Date: 2023-12-01T15:00:00Z

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

4 Likes

I need to start skimming over volumes 12 and 13. I was reading ahead but paused till volume 14 became available and somehow ended up stopping. Then I figured I may as well wait for the club.

6 Likes

Chapters 141 and 142

Start Date: 2023-12-08T15:00:00Z

Final chapters of the volume!

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

5 Likes

I had to read ahead last week :sweat_smile: Luckily, after this week’s reading was the end of the volume, so that prevented me from reading ahead even further. Because oh boy, did I want to :joy:

Story comments

This is such a good twist! The story has been encouraging us to sympathize with the star bearers for a while now, but now Gilbert reminds us that their incompetence has cost several people their lives through disposal.

It’s interesting that Kate sees this as happening due to the lack of coffee. Gilbert is one of the older shadows, so it’s weird that he and his living puppet are breaking out of its effects when Sara and Mia still seem to be super duper brainwashed, despite being younger. They should have more coffee built up from long term ingestion. Maybe it’s because Gilbert and his living puppet (whose name I can’t recall) had those much harder experiences as part of the medical team that he talked about.

7 Likes

Except Mia was starting to break out of its effects; Sara was being given the coffee by Edward, which is why she is so brainwashed.

8 Likes

Oh, I missed or had forgotten that they were given coffee by Edward. Thanks for the reminder!

7 Likes