コーヒーが冷めないうちに (Intermediate Book Club)

Sorry for double posting. I just wanted to add, for anyone wanting to give the book a proper try before committing, that I just found out about KanjiTomo - a very convenient OCR dictionary that will recognize characters in a BookWalker sample (or any other, I’m sure), and translate on the fly just like you would on an Android or iOS device. Even quicker in fact, you just hover over the word and characters + translation appear in the KanjiTomo window. Using that, I read through the first two pages and added to the Wordlist document. I used the BookWalker page numbers, I hope they correspond to the paperback ones. Please let me know if something is wrong, it’s my first time editing a wordlist.

Reading was a little exhausting, by the way, because of so much unknown vocabulary, but other than that I had no problem following the story. And I’m sure it will get easier the more I read.

4 Likes

Unfortunately they usually don’t :pensive: (except for very lucky circumstances)
I think you can just leave the page numbers blank in the sheet and somebody else can fill them in. That’s the least amount of work, anyways :wink:

Yes, that’s often the case for me as well, it’s always exhausting to adapt to new vocabulary and writing style. Luckily, usually both will get better over time because often authors tend to stick with a certain set of words, and of course the story-specific vocabulary will also kind of remain the same. We “just” need to learn all these words, and we’re good to go :joy_cat:

5 Likes

Totally agree with you guys, the grammar is mostly familiar - its the kanji/vocab which is tripping me up a bit but I’m actually quite pleased with that considering grammar is easily my worst skill.

1 Like

You could use OCR tools like Kanjitomo or capture2text. It’s not perfect especially when the quality of the font isn’t that great but it’s often easier and faster than doing it manually.

Thinking about joining joining this book because I want to read more novels and the plot seems interesting. How is this compared to Konbini Ningen and the other book from the same author we’re currently reading?
Also is there a reason why it’s ¥1100 and not something like ~600? :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s a relatively new book, that’s why :cry:

1 Like

Also noticed its quite a bit fatter than the other novels I ordered!

Would be good to have another kappa on board :high_touch:

1 Like

I filled out the wordlist for the first week. I wasn’t sure how much to include, so I went with nearly everything. There are words in there that I knew but didn’t recognize the kanji, words that I could deduce the meaning of but thought were still interesting to write down, and of course many (too many) that I was seeing for the first time. But then my vocabulary really is tiny, so there may be too many known words in there for most of you. Hope that’s okay. I haven’t included page numbers as I’m reading on Bookwalker. However, I have left a few numbers there as indicators, in case they sort of match the paperback. The last page for the first week is 19 on Bookwalker, 20 on paperback, so they can’t be far off.

8 Likes

You have to hold the mouse down for a moment so that the cursor changes shape; then you can select text. The selected text then pops up as a separate window from which you can copy. I just use rikai-chan to look up the meaning there.

2 Likes

Wow, just read the first few pages on BookLive… this book seems like tons of fun. :open_mouth:
Unfortunately I’ve got exams until the end of June though :sob: :sob:. Well I should be completely free afterwards, so maybe I’ll try to catch up. Either way, looking forward to reading this!

3 Likes

I read the sequel to this last year (in English) and really enjoyed it. Confusingly the sequel in English is also called “Before the Coffee Gets Cold” (with a subheading “Tales from the Cafe”) and has a very similar cover so I had misunderstood which one you were reading!

The sequel in Japanese has a much better name: この嘘がばれないうちに。

Hope you all enjoy the reading. When you read it you’ll definitely be able to see its roots as an adaptation of a play.

7 Likes

Picked up my copy today, and yeah, it is quite chonky. And oof, there’s very nearly no furigana whatsoever.

2 Likes

Big thanks to those contributing to the Google sheet. I have the PB version and don’t think I could read this otherwise. I’ll do my best to contribute to that as well once I get started.

Saw the poll about read aloud sessions…how do those work?

On vacation next week and will take the book with me to start looking at the first week’s reading. Excited to get started!

2 Likes

At the appointed time, we go on the Discord server and gather in one of the voice chat rooms. Then going in alphabetical order (the simplest option, because that’s how the names are sorted) we read as much as we want each. It’s helpful to the group, incidentally, if everyone practices reading ahead of time. :slightly_smiling_face: I usually photocopy the passage onto larger paper, and hand-write in the furigana - my reasoning being that the live-reading session isn’t supposed to be a test of my ability to remember the kanji.

For the コンビニ人間 readings, the whole passage would (astonishingly) take only about ten to fifteen minutes, so we’d usually pick a page and take turns translating it into English one line at a time.

2 Likes

As promised some months ago on the intermediate thread I’ve just download the ebook on bookwalker and I will be reading along with you. I’ve been reading the first couple of pages and it seems doable :muscle:

6 Likes

I took a peek at the book today and ended up reading the first 10 pages or so inadvertently (which, I suppose means it’s a good book!), and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy to read it is. The pages I read felt easier than 君の名は to me, but maybe it was just the lack of funky dialect and teenage slang. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I can confirm it’s easy to read. This is my first ever novel in Japanese, and other than (lots and lots and lots of) unknown vocabulary, I’ve had no problem with it so far (halfway through week 3 now, compiling the word list, then I plan to go back and reread for each week).

8 Likes

Hellow fellow readers-ow!

Week 1 discussion thread is now open, welcome to chat and to share your thoughts!

Week 1 discussion thread

10 Likes

I joined and started reading today :blush:

10 Likes

Has the week 2 thread started somewhere?

2 Likes