コンビニ人間 🍙 Week 11 (IBC Primer)

Week 11 of コンビニ人間

コンビニ人間 (IBC Primer) :rice_ball: Home Thread

Previous Part: Week 10
Next Part: Week 12

Reading

Week Start Date End Page (PB)* End Kindle Location End Percentage Ebook End Phrase Page Count
#11 Aug 26 70 664 39% 白羽さんの顔を見てしまった。 9

If the end phrase is bolded, it means that this week ends in the middle of a section/chapter. So the stopping point might be a bit rough and you need to keep more of an eye out for it.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
古倉 ふるくら Main character’s last name Furigana
恵子 けいこ Main character’s first name English version description
菅原 すがわら Part time employee at コンビニ Common reading
いずみ Supervisor at コンビニ Common reading
ダット ダット Vietnamese, new employee
岩木 いわき Tall university student, employed on day shift, looking for a new job English version description
雪下 ゆきした Day shift employee soon to be leaving for a proper job English version description
ミホ ミホ Keiko’s friend from class reunion, week 6
ユカリ ユカリ Miho’s friend, recently moved back to the area, has a child, week 6
サツキ サツキ Miho’s friend, no children, week 6
白羽 しらは New, tall, skinny store employee, week 8 Furigana
麻美 まみ Keiko’s sister, week 10 Audiobook
悠太郎 ゆうたろう Mami’s baby, week 10 Audiobook

Vocabulary List

Please note that this vocabulary sheet was created for earlier コンビニ人間 clubs. The PB (paperback) pages should correspond with PB page counts in our schedule, but the weeks and schedule table won’t. This was created for the original IBC schedule. Example: the vocabulary for Primer week one, two and a couple of pages of week 3 will all be under original IBC week 1, so in the week one tab.

Please don’t change this sheet to correspond with our schedule, but do feel free to add to the vocabulary sheet if it is missing something, please read the editing guidelines tab before doing so. :slight_smile: If you are unsure how to add something or which page it falls on, post it in the thread instead and we’ll figure it out together!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

Obs! Do note that the physical version seems to come with zero page numbers (yes, zero, I saw none while flipping through a good portion of the first volume). So alternative means of identifying page might be needed.

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (if you can), and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Past IBC Thread Links

This week is covered by IBC week 6.

Don’t feel like you need to look there to see if your question(s) have been answered before posting here. There is no obligation nor expectation that you will look there first.

5 Likes

A couple of bits that I highlighted this week.
One was this phrase

人生終了だよな。だめだ、ありゃ。社会のお荷物だよ。人間はさー、仕事か、家庭か、どちらかで社会に所属するのが義務なんだよ」大きく頷いた泉さんが、はっとして店長を小突き、「古倉さんみたいにお家の事情があるならわかるけど。ねえ?」と言った。

I couldn’t find or work out what the first word meant 人生終了 The end of life?

I wasn’t sure if this was 社長 or Izumi talking. I think they are saying that Shiraha is a waste of space because he doesn’t have a proper job or family But then ?Izumi says that you could understand it if he had ?personal circumstances like Furakura san (Keiko). But what are the circumstances they are talking about?

4 Likes

I’m also not sure about 人生終了, but I think that the circumstances are the excuses that Keiko gives (that she has a weak body, health issues, etc). What I’ve heard from お家の事情 before is that it’s an excuse to not delve further into personal issues - it could mean any family related issue (like caring for an elderly/sick relative, for example). I assume that Keiko’s sister may have come up with it as a new excuse for her.

4 Likes
Spoiler

This week’s reading was interesting. I think the middle-aged man who was ordering the customers is a former konbini employee. I felt the tension in the air.
Also, I like the writer’s style. We are reading the life of a konbini employee but there is not any repetition or boredom.

6 Likes

I also drew a blank trying to look this one up. All I found was people using it meaning simply “end of life”. English translation went with - “he’s a dead-ender”.

3 Likes

39%

8人目の店長は、私が「コンビニ」へ向かっていつでも祈り続けていることを、その場にいないときもちゃんと見てくれている

This was another phrase I highlighted
I was pleased to see that it features heavily in previous WK discussion threads
Less pleased to find that even after reading those I still find this phrase pretty opaque.

2 Likes

I also had trouble with that section as well but wouldn’t have looked into the previous thread if you didn’t post it (as a lazy being that is me), thank you! (And I second your feeling, it’s still a tricky bit for me after reading that thread too)

Overall, I’m loving reading this book along you guys and this week’s development of the story has been quite fun!!

Sometimes I still can’t believe I’m being able to enjoy a real-deal book in Japanese!
Thank you soooo much, @MissDagger!

4 Likes