キノの旅 Week 3 Discussion

I’m, once again, not available (or even in Tokyo) this weekend. So I’m afraid it’s compromised :sweat_smile:

Plenty more weeks to follow!
You’ll run out of excuses eventually! :laughing:

4 Likes

Haha, I saw all the posts and thought like people were already finished with the chapter and deep in discussions already.

Luckily, no chapter related content so far!

8 Likes

Is it just me or was the introduction so poetic that it was hard to read? :joy:

5 Likes

Just got through it and saw the next few pages and thought “Yes! DIALOG!” Haha

6 Likes

Somehow I found this chapter harder to read. And it’s more boring (nothing happens almost until the cut-off line).

運転手の黒くて短い髪が風でわしゃわしゃと乱されていた。
What is わしゃわしゃ?

1 Like

Good question. I thought it was a weird onomatopeia word to express how her hair was being windblown.

2 Likes

I also found this chapter harder to get into than the first one.

I read ahead a bit and I found the story of the past of this country to be a bit violent and not the kind of story I would ordinarily chose to read.

I also couldn’t find it at all in dictionary either, so I asked a native. According to them, it’s when your hair is a bit messy and tangled, but not in a bad way, more like a cute way. Another meaning is when you are petting very cute cats/dog/animals/person and thus messing up their fur/hair

9 Likes

わしゃわしゃ brings up some pretty cute videos/images in a Google search…

3 Likes

I got a few questions again:

Q1, pg 49, sixth line from the end

I was lost when I first read this but I think I got it now. She cut off her jacket’s sleeves to make her vest. But she kept the sleeves. And they’re loosely tied to the top of her bag and rolled up brown jacket.

Is this all correct? Japanese for reference:

そこには、大きな鞄と、丸めた茶色のコートが縛りつけられている。その一番上に、運転手が今着ているベストの、元はジャケットの両袖が、しっかりと、そして無造作にくくりつけられていた。

Q2, pg 52, second line after the section break

Does the 気 in 自嘲気味 rendaku here?

Q3, pg 58, second to last line

興味なさげ - lots of questions about this げ.
The kanji is 気, right?
Is it some kind of grammar point?
Is it the same げ from other words in this book like 悲しげ?
If so, when it’s in the negative, does it require なさ instead of ない, similar to なさそう?

My comment (spoiler if you haven’t finished this week’s reading):

Hope there’s some action soon, and not just talking to hard to find people in the aftermath of different disasters.

1 Like

Yes it does.
I’ll let someone else answer the harder questions. :joy:

2 Likes

1 - Yes. She fastened the coat and the bag using the sleeves cut off from the jacket, which became a vest.

3 - Yes to all, here’s the description of the grammar.

1 Like

Yes.

Yes and yes. It’s similar to ~そう but less certain, and less objective.

1 Like

Blockquote
I found a good explanation here

I think you are correct about the げ being 気 so it has the meaning of “giving the feeling that”. The phrase means something like, “gave the impression that he wasn’t really interested.”

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the responses! The links were very helpful

This week’s reading taught me one new grammar point:
しがみつかんばかりの勢いで言った。

According to grammar dictionary, んばかり means “it almost seems as if he is about to …” (N1 grammar). しがみつく is “to cling”. So this translates to something like “he said with such a force that it almost seemed as if he was about to cling to them”.

5 Likes

In chapter four there is some. I just started it but I feel like there is gonna be some.

1 Like

Finally I found some time to read through yaay!

So I’ll just thorw in some questions about things I’m not too sure about :wink:

Q 1, p. 48
それはわずかに土が見えることで、かろうじて分かるほど細い道だった。
This (road) appeared to be only dirt, the road was so small (small up to the degree), that one bearly recognizes it.
I’m totally not sure, whether I got it right… it just sounds so strange…

Q 2, p 50
風でぐしゃぐしゃになった髪を手で整えようとしたが、あまり代わりばえはしなかった。
He tryed to arrange the hair, that was was crumbled by the wind, but it did not make a big difference.
My question is about this ばえ. Is it a grammar point that I totally missed? Is it just a noun?

Q3, p. 52
国の中央にでも行けば、誰かがいるに決まってるよ。
If we go to the middle of the region, we can decide that ther is someone.
I am confused of the usages of に決まる, because it kind of sounds like they are the ones, who make the decision wheter someone will be there. In my opinon there should be something like “we are able to decide, wheter someone is there”

Wow, that is really strange, how I read over the same sentence at three different days in total 5 times, but don’t understand it. But when I want to ask a question about it, it suddenly becomes clear :smiley:

~T :lion:

Q1 - The first part is それはわずかに土が見えることで

They could barely (僅かに) see the earth and the road was so narrow that it could be barely recognized.

Q2 - I don’t know if there is grammar related to this, but 代わり映え is on Jisho as “change for the better”.

Q3 - 決める means “to decide”. 決まる means it’s decided by someone else, here something like “surely” (someone will surely be there).

2 Likes