Join the Intermediate Book Club Here!

キノの旅 Home Thread

Chapter 5 (1/2)

Start Date: May 11
Previous Chapter: Week 9
Next Chapter: Week 11

Week 10 Reading: Chapter 5 (1/2)
Until p.184 (「[…]謝罪しろ!」)
Note: this cut comes in the middle of a conversation, since no natural cut was available.

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for キノの旅!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Reading aloud group

For more info see thread here

With updated dates:

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_vin:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
3 Likes

Hi! I’m first for the first time!

Let’s keep doing our best for the next chapter. :smiley:

6 Likes

Every week I get reminded of the fact that I put the times for the book club in a confusing order…:sweat_smile::turtle:

6 Likes

I won’t change it. It’s a meme by now. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

藁う。将軍愛じゃねか。

3 Likes

嗚呼、将軍愛ん打世。

2 Likes

That was hard to understand. I only noticed because I ended up reading it out loud “藁う” :joy:

@sigolino is the last part supposed to be だせ? As in uncool or だよ?

2 Likes

I didn’t choose only on’yomi, It’s actually supposed to be だよ :joy:

2 Likes

I intended to read and get caught up for a change, and when I noticed I had finished chapter 4 and read the whole of chapter 5… :sweat_smile:

Chapter 5 was probably my favorite one so far, so there’s that.

9 Likes

Mine too. Its nice to understand a bit more about how and why Kino started her journeys. It was clear from the tone of previous chapters that the countdown was going to be to something unpleasant, and so that aspect of the chapter wasn’t particularly surprising. I am finding the bloodthirsty lack of regard for life of the citizens of the various countries in the last couple of chapters a bit boring.

3 Likes

I haven’t finished the chapter (or this week’s reading for that matter), but I guess xxxxxちゃん is our キノ and there are multiple (well, at least two) iterations of キノs and ヘルメスs

5 Likes

W-Why haven’t I thought of this at all… I kept on thinking that this is like a chapter that takes place in the future, with a changed Kino. Makes more sense now.

4 Likes

Oh! Crazy idea time:

Xxxxx actually steals real Kino’s stuff and Hermes to run away from the country. The angry mob then kills real Kino. Finally she has to become Kino because that’s what it says on her “new” passport. That’s also why she is as genderless as possible (real Kino being a man and all)

7 Likes

Got 3 quick questions this time around. Thanks in advance, as always!

pg 171, line 4

僕にこれを売ってくださいと頼んだら、そんなものは昔のゴミだからいらないって言われてね。

I want to double check who’s saying what. So Kino asked someone to sell him the モトラド, and they say it’s old garbage and that they don’t need it? (Also, am I right that いらない here is 要る, “need?”)

pg 172, third line from the end

瘦せてるもんね。 What does this mean? The rest of the conversation is about the pact between Kino and the モトラド, so what does being skinny have to do with anything?

pg 181, last part of last line

生きてくつもりか? Is this 生きてく with the い dropped? Can you drop い from things besides ている?

Now I gotta get around to posting my mountains of questions from the 2 weeks before this lol

2 Likes
pg 171, line 4

Yeah, basically. You’re also right that いらない here is 要らない.

pg 172, third line from the end

That was right after he said he can’t run as fast as a モトラド, so I took it as xxxxx thinking, with her child mind, that he can’t because he’s so skinny and doesn’t have the stamina. I mean, looking from the rest of the conversation, she seems to have no idea what a モトラド is.

pg 181, last part of last line

I don’t know if you properly can do that or not, but that’s the only thing this could be to me.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “properly” do it :sweat_smile: all abbreviations like that are colloquialisms and thus improper grammar. てく is common, if that’s what you wondered.

4 Likes

That’s actually what I meant :upside_down_face: I just couldn’t recall seeing it before or not, it’s such a small thing I probably go over it without thinking every time. Edit: I don’t even know why this is in spoilers, people must be thinking we’re talking about the plot or something :joy:

10 Likes

Maybe it will encourage them to catch up and then be disappointed…:wink::turtle:

12 Likes

It was behind a “details” section, which is sort of a spoiler tag. So my answer inherited the spoiler property. But @TamanegiNoKame has a point :smiling_imp:

9 Likes

Now that I actually managed to catch up, I’m going to do my best to not fall behind again, and that’s why I now have read this week’s… well, I was going to say chapter, but it’s not a full chapter. I read this week’s reading, I guess.

I also think something like this will happen, but my guess is that Kino get killed by the citizens and Xxxxx will run away with Hermes because of that instead and then become Kino. Basically the same result as your idea, but it would make it so Xxxxx running away is a result of Kino being killed instead of Kino being killed because of Xxxxx running away… so I guess it’s really just the same thought you had but with what causes what reversed

5 Likes