キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Can you just format it so that both floflo and kitsun links are in a word lists category or something similar?

1 Like

Edited. Does it look better to you now? o:

EDIT: Changed the word list to the bottom of the post (instead of being at the middle). Easier to search for them, I guess.

3 Likes

Yep, thank you :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yep! It’s split on the following symbols:
,, and

The comma is used because some sentences would otherwise be way too long. The drawback to this is that when the vocab is そして and the sentence is そして、なななな it will have そして as the context sentence :')

@jprspereira thanks!

4 Likes

I picked up a book cover last week with the intent of making another go at reading through it during my daily commute (crashed the first time around the 1/3 mark a year ago).

Not having been spending much time on the forums lately, I didn’t know Kino was a candidate for the club, so, while I’m not planning to lose my personal momentum by waiting until March, I can say that it (mostly) gets easier and more fluid the further in you go.

And, while the only other LN volume I’ve read through in its entirety was, uh, not exactly high art, there’s a lot of easily accessible charm imbued in the descriptive text in this work that I totally glossed over the first time, mostly due to lacking kanji. (This is a concern that shouldn’t limit lower-leveled readers now that floflo and kitsun are available)

6 Likes

You… crashed while reading during your daily commute? You either need a better choice of activity during your commute, or a better choice of wording. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Exciting!

13 Likes

Wow 51 members already!

Let’s hope we can keep the hype up until we actually start!

12 Likes

Guess what arrived today :)!

16 Likes

Yay, mine got shipped today! =D
Arrives in 2-6 weeks… can take 12 O_o
Well, here’s hoping it comes sooner rather than later! D=

7 Likes

Wow, the last time I read a book in a A6 format was at school. There were this terrible reclam booklets… I hated those -.-’

grafik

What doesn’t mean that I also hate our lecture! Its great! And its not yellow!

6 Likes

Ah the beauty of German Literature xD thpse times were what true pain felt like (although i found some sort of sick enjoyment reading Woyzeck xD )

3 Likes

Ha Ha I had to read Woyzeck for my German litterature class last week.

2 Likes

Yeah, for a German, German literature is not that painful, but it’s still very anoying to be forced to read stuff, you are not interested in. I suppose that’s the same in every country.

~T :lion:

5 Likes

Oh god, those reclam booklet… stuff that nightmares are made of. :laughing:

I keep thinking about whether I should join this book club because I really want to read more. On the other hand I will be in Japan when this starts and it will already be difficult to keep up with everything. But every time I see this thread popping up here, it is tempting. I downloaded a Kindle sample a while ago and it seemed possible to do. It would be nice to have this book club as a motivation to actually get through it.

I will make up my mind by the time you guys start reading!

6 Likes

For me the only reason why this book seems doable, is because the semster break begins exactly when the bookclub starts. This way I have a huge bunch of time (6 weeks), where I can study Japanese all day long :jp:

8 Likes

You could also try to read ahead a little if you have the time, that way you wouldn’t have to catch up after your holiday :blush:

2 Likes

Oh, I’m Swiss (the German part) so therefore I don’t struggle with the, well, German per se, just that most of it just isn’t interesting. Der gute Mensch von Sezuan was good. I enjoyed that. And like I said, Woyzeck is just… kinda hilarious but hey xD Other than that is was just getting through it.
And as you said, if you don’t wanna read it, it doesn’t make it any easier xD

I’m in Japan at the end of March for a couple weeks, which is after we start, but I think what I’ll try to do is read ahead, like @Myria suggested or catch up depending on how busy I am I guess.
If you have the book already, why not start now if you have the time? You can always keep notes and then post them in the threads once they open :slight_smile: (And give me tips for whatever unusual cool places you found while in Japan :wink:)

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I‘ll try that and then when the book club starts I will know right away in case I can’t make it.

(and yeah, Woyzeck, ugh… so many years ago and the memory still makes me roll my eyes really hard)

4 Likes

For me it’s always useful to use the book and the audiobook paralell. I got to love this when I used the Satori Reader. When I have no time to read (like when I walk to the University) I can just listen to the audio.

I found the audiobook of キノの旅 on youtube. I am quite sure, that it’s not against the forum rules to post it here, but if I am wrong, please tell me :slight_smile:

【PS2】キノの旅Ⅰ 森の中で・b - YouTube

~T :lion:

EDIT: This audiobook includes WAY more content. The first and last chapter are the same like the book we have, but all ohter chapters… are way longer. However, the story seems to fit, so I will definetly give it a try

7 Likes