カードキャプターさくら・Card Captor Sakura Book Club 🌸 Week 1

Wait, she doesn’t exist in the manga??? :eyes: My biggest annoyance in the anime is a filler??? Or am I misunderstanding?

Edit: Oh, just read your comment below about it being retrofitted into the Clear Card thingy. But does she not appear at all in the CCS manga? That would be a dream :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

Yeah, she’s an anime original character character. If I recall correctly, in the clear card manga, even there she’s just acknowledged with a “Oh, she sent a letter”

5 Likes

This was really hard and annoying to do. As said before it didn’t feel much like reading at all :smiling_face_with_tear: I’m really worried about whether I’ll survive week number 2 but I’ll try.

If I find the time this week I might try re-reading and coming up with questions.

5 Likes

Thanks! I actually have a follow-up question - is it common to see different kanji with the same reading used interchangeably (戒め and 縛め)? Is there any reason for that? Although they have somewhat a similar meaning, looking in isolation gives a bit of a weird translation…

5 Likes

Let’s go ! Being level 40 in WK, I usually don’t struggle too much with kanjis, but this week had more unknown ones than I expected.

Since it’s fairly short, I can probably try to do a full translation this week.

page 8

We finally caught up with it !

page 9

[here comes the iconic line]

KEY that conceals the power of shadows ! Reveal your true form to us ! is that what ware no mae means ? Or is it “before us”, kinda like the expression 目の前 ?

By the contract [that binds us ?], [I] order you ! is もと here 元 ?

REVEAL !

page 10

Sakura ! [Use] the card !

I know !

Card created by “Clamp” (???) ! Lend power to my (our ?) KEY !

Transfer the power that reside in this card to that KEY !
I’m missing something here. Not sure what 我に力を is doing. I’m missing a verb and a subject. Is Sakura forcing that transfer ? Is there a transfer from the card to the key then from the key to Sakura ?

page 11

Windy ! it’s funnier if you read this as “Wendy’s!”

Wind ! Become binding chains ! Since she is using となれ, “let the wind be binding chains” may be a better translation

page 12

Return back to the shape where you belong ! I’m struggling more with english than with japanese here ^^

[something] card ! seriously, what’s written here ?

Plus a fair amount of “krrr krr” “Booom” “whooooosh” everywhere.

Beside the archaic forms, this isn’t actually so hard (unless I’m way off of course :sweat_smile:)

8 Likes

Thanks for all the questions and comments here so far, this was definitely a challenge but I feel like I’m learning a lot already! My question feels like such a silly one but it’s really throwing me. The large speech bubble on page 12 is written in katakana but I can’t for the life of me figure out what the second character is. :sweat_smile: Can someone help?

Page 12

4 Likes
Page 12 - Unidentified kana

It’s ロ

When handwritten it can often look a lot less boxy, almost more like an English n with an extra stroke

th-3490787626

The word is Clow, which is a character name. The cards are Clow Cards, because as the incantation says, they’re cards made by Clow.

Page 11 - Unusual Kanji choices

So there’s a couple of reasons a manga might have unusual kanji choices:

1. Valid alternate spellings. Some words (such as 縛め) actually can use multiple different kanji. Sometimes these have different nuances, sometimes they come from different regions, sometimes a more common kanji might be used in place of a rarer/lesser-known one as an alternate spelling. In this case 戒め is a valid spelling of 縛め, so I suspect it’s a case that they thought their target audience (kids) were more likely to know 戒 than 縛。The alternative is also possible, where they’ll use a rarer kanji for a word to make text look more fancy, which could also be the case here since it’s in an incantation.
  2. Double meanings. This can happen to clarify pronouns where they’ll put the reading of someone’s name as furigana to clarify an ambiguous pronoun, or it can happen when they want to communicate two things at once (sort of like footnotes in some English novels). You could argue this week we have an example of that too with 封印解除(レリーズ) as the kanji is explaining that it’s a seal that’s being released, while the words spoken just say release.
  3. Sometimes the author just picks the wrong kanji in their IME. Rare but not unheard of, we have had a couple of examples in book clubs over the years. This is unlikely to happen in CCS by virtue of it being 30 years old, so IME dependence was less of a thing then.
Page 9

This もと is normally written with 下 in kanji, though jotoba tells me 元 is also a valid spelling.

の前 here does have the same “in front”/“before” meaning as 目の前 here.

Page 12

[something] card ! seriously, what’s written here ?

クロウ which is Clow, which is a character name. It’s a made up name.

7 Likes

Ah that makes sense, thank you so much!

3 Likes

This is really helpful, thank you!

follow up question about 秘めし on page 10

Is this the same form being used in ‘秘めし’ in the sentence 闇の力を秘めし『鍵』よ? So it’s like “key that conceals”? I was struggling with what し means here

3 Likes
On 秘めし

Yes, 秘めし is another verb in this dreaded classical attributive form. Please bear in mind that the 創りし and 宿りし forms that we saw so far are forms of yodan verbs (to keep things brief, classical Japanese had four and not five-step verbs) but 秘める is a so-called kami ichidan verb, where the form is 秘めし and not *秘めりし. All in all, the whole phrase means: “O key that conceals the power of darkness!” :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m in group 2 here (since I’m definitely not the target of ABBC as someone also reading along with IM ), but! I have so much I’m reading now in and out of bookclubs, I don’t mind the pace. It’s a nice easy “check the box” for me each week before I spend a lot of time on the IMC reads.

5 Likes

this post may of help to you, re: page 10.

re: the missing verb

I assume 貸せ is implied to be the verb because it was just used in the previous speech bubble in a similar phrase?

3 Likes

so if i need to start looking up the vocab of literally every text bubble, im going to have to assume that this is a level thats probably too high for me…

2 Likes

So there’s three things to consider there:

1. At level 5 in Wanikani needing to lookup vocab in most text bubbles is a distinct possibility for anything you read. Wanikani isn’t ordered by frequency, but by kanji complexity, so there’s plenty of top 100 vocab that doesn’t come until the level 10s.
  2. Having to do lookups isn’t nessecarily a reason not to read however - it’s sort of expected for your first time reading and it’s why this club provides resources like the vocab sheet.
  3. This cold open has some of the harder language in this manga, due to the presence of Sakura’s incantantion. e.g. next week pivots to (minor spoilers) Sakura introducing herself and her friends, which should have much more vocab you recognise.
7 Likes

At level 10 I absolutely continue to stumble over random first-month-of-Japanese-class (took a few classes years ago) vocabulary among all the words I hadn’t learned before.

4 Likes

I don’t know what you’ve done vocab-wise outside of WK (I think you mentioned in another post that you have used Genki?), but in general:

• “Looking up so much that it doesn’t feel like reading” is the standard experience for your first native manga. It happened to me. It happened to others. It’ll get better… if you continue.
  • This first part has particularly specific vocab since it’s a fantasy fight. The next week’s part might go better for you.
  • The manga is on the harder side for the ABBC.

So, now you have a choice:

• You can try to press on and see if it gets better. Maybe give it the second week where we get out of the fantasy environment.
  • Else I’d recommend trying to read along with one of our finished easier picks. My recommendations there would be Chiisana Mori no Ookami-chan or Happiness. Don’t be instantly intimidated by the amount you have to look up there too. Like I said: That’s just what happens for new readers. The first native manga is always hard.
  • If those are also too hard you can try a graded reader. My introduction to reading was this book, which is (unlike what the title wants you to believe) definitely less than captivating, but I was just so excited to be able to read Japanese without having to look up every word.
  • Or you can just give up on reading for now and learn more vocab. It’ll probably make your next try reading at least slightly less painful.
6 Likes

Finished this week! Wow, it felt like I had to look up almost every word… but then when I checked the frequency of the words I was looking up, they were mostly in the top 2,000 (and sometimes even in the top 500)! I’m used to Satori Reader stories, which feel like they try to build your vocab up in slow increments, so this was a bit of a shock for me. But it definitely felt rewarding to know that all of the new words I’m learning are super common!

8 Likes

Apologies if I got the page number wrong since I am using the ebook, but a quick question!

Some context if helpful - This is the first time I am trying to read a manga in Japanese and I actually have not seen the anime (I know, I know - I am just as shocked at myself as you may be :exploding_head:).

Page 9

Why is 鍵 (かぎ) in brackets in this sentence - 闇の力を秘めし「鍵」よ!

Without the brackets it reads (I think) - “The power of darkness is hidden!” - which makes complete sense. But with the brackets it reads… awkwardly? (“The power of darkness is hidden (key)!”)

7 Likes
Page 9

My guess is that “key” in in quotes because the item doesn’t look like a key.

The clause before it (闇の力を秘めし) is modifying “key”, which in English we typically place after the noun (rather than before) as “key that hides the power of darkness”.

7 Likes

I really enjoyed looking up words for these first few pages! I also liked this part (In the manga, the words「封印解除」are furigana’d as レリーズ (release)) When reading, I thought it said フリーズ (freeze) lol

Furigana is so tiny but every manga I’ve seen has tiny furigana!

10 Likes