🐶 わんわん探偵団 🕵 Home Thread - Doggy Detectives!

The worse case - I can use screenshot from Kindle and pass it to GoogleTranslate the picture. But I consider it cheating unless most kanjis are new.

1 Like

Bought my digital copy uwu! Can’t wait to start :))

3 Likes

You probably know this already, but (so long as the picture is clear and I can make out the lines, which isn’t always the case) I look up unfamiliar (or unremembered) Kanji by identifying radicals and narrowing down the possibilities, using Jisho.org. Some of it’s a bit tricky (for instance, there are two squares, they all look like a mouth to me) but with trial and error I usually get there.

1 Like

Yep as the others said, it’s common for picture books to not have selectable text, because of the layouts. Luckily these わんわん (and にゃんにゃん) books have furigana, so you can look things up on a dedicated dictionary app or website quite easily! Which is not cheating :slight_smile:

Even if the ebook versions are images/scans, we do still have the advantage of being able to zoom in on tiny furigana!

1 Like

I made the mistake of buying on bookwalker because i was having too much trouble with Amazon.Jp. I can zoom in on the phone app no problem, but the web reader I can’t figure out how to zoom in without scrolling through all the pages or other strange behavior. Anyone else use bookwalker in a browser and have any tips? If not, i’ll probably be using Kitsun/Jisho on my laptop and sitting in front of it reading a book on my phone (seems quite strange)

1 Like

I have no tips, but didn’t know there was a bookwalker app. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

1 Like

You can zoom in to the app by double clicking on the page (for a 50%-ish zoom) or by bringing up the top and bottom bars on the page by clicking in the middle of the screen (at least on google chrome on Windows).

4 Likes

I see people are getting excited to start. This is great!

3 Likes

I bought the ebook today, looking forward to reading it with everybody.

4 Likes

Soon! :star_struck:
I’m very excited. Perfect timing. I think starting this with the club now will help me get back into a reading routine.

5 Likes

Yay! I finally overcame my dread and figured out how to order from Amazon.jp so I can join :relaxed:
It said the kindle edition was not available which was sort of perplexing. So I ordered a paper copy along with another book because why not :woman_shrugging:

This was helpful for me -
Shop Japan! Using Amazon.co.jp and Tenso.com from the U.S. | by Ridwan | Ridwan Khan

I will be a few days late starting but am hopeful that I can catch up.

5 Likes

If you go to the book’s page on Bookwalker and click on 試し読みする, you can read up to page 13 as a free sample. That includes all the first week’s reading plus the preamble. Could get you started while awaiting delivery.

Screenshot

8 Likes

Thank you! I have downloaded the free trial!

4 Likes

Hi all, I think I might be jumping in a bit above my head with this, but I’m hoping it’ll at least be a good measure of where I’m at and I’m sure I’ll learn something regardless! I’ve got the ebook so I’ll see how I get on with that.

7 Likes

For me it will be the same :). I am sure we are all in the same boat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Ooh, this seems very fun. I think it’ll be way too hard for me, but I can probably learn something by reading everyone else’s comments. Ebook gang :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The first ‘real’ book you read is always going to be difficult, but when you have a whole book club to help you it’ll be fine and you’ll learn a lot :blush:

8 Likes

This might be a good moment to mention…

If this is the first book club you’ve participated in, or you’re quite new to the forums, please consider setting this thread to ‘Watching’! I will post the new discussion thread here each week, and if you are watching the thread you will get a little notification to let you know.

You can set the thread to ‘watching’ by clicking on the little bell icon near the bottom:

6 Likes

Ooo thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I think I’ll give this club thing a go! I’m only on Genki chapter 5, so it might be painful starting out, but I’ve been encouraged to at least give it a try. I’ll keep pushing through Genki alongside the book and hopefully notice things get easier!

5 Likes