🐶 わんにゃん探偵団 🐱 Book Club

Mine doesn’t, so I’ll look into others, thanks.

Edit: I’ve fossicked about and found something that works, thanks.

Edit #2: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :bowing_woman: Even saving the scanned pages as PDF instead of JPEG means (for some reason) the scanner automatically stops at the edge of the book, so I don’t even have to crop. This is going to save me SO MUCH TIME. I love you! :green_heart:

3 Likes

Glad I could help!

So this means you can join us, right? :smirk: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Changing the poll right now…

4 Likes

Hi everyone! Could someone tell me if the planned book is a continuation of the previously read ones, or a separate story line?
I’d like to read these books and am not sure whether to start from the previous ones or jump into the first わんわん book with this club :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The わんわん books actually came before the にゃんにゃん books, so no worries there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this!! =D
I loved the first kitty book (My first full book in Japanese too!), but missed out on the second (I WILL go back and read it, including all comments, but I prefer reading together, so will prioritise the doggy book! <3 )
I bought all 5 books back when we found the first kitty books! <3

When there was a long gap between 1 and 2 I was so tempted to just read them on my own =P
but of cause I had to be burned out when the second book club came along! D=
Stupid fatigue -_-

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ll join this book club then :slight_smile:
So I can start on the にゃんにゃん ones now but won’t have to speed through them to make the start date on this one!

6 Likes

Cooool, it looks like nobody really has a problem starting in April! :tada:

I’ve set up a thread for the first Doggy Detectives book specifically:

threads within threads within threads

6 Likes

You’re always scanning the books, right? Because you don’t want to take notes in the actual book? Do you prefer hard copies over ebooks?

will be deleted later

Nothing here

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the offer :slightly_smiling_face: , but it’s less than 15 seconds per double page spread to scan, and if I do the whole week’s worth in one go and save it as pdf, it forms a single document from the scanner, making it easier on the storage / organisational end of things.

1 Like

I was even lazier, just took pictures with my phone. Takes about 10 minutes to flip through a book that way. The resulting pdf is wobbly, but ehhh… :woman_shrugging:t3:

But I’ll be buying eBooks from now on and turning them into pdfs.

1 Like

Are you still able to get Japanese image-to-text recognition with the photo pdfs?

It never occurred to me to try. What do you use it for?

Highlighting stuff instead of or in addition to the sticky notes.

1 Like

Yes, that’s just how it’s been for me! And why I’ve had to step right back for a while. But…

Exactly! I mean, I just love these bookclubs and all the great people here!

5 Likes

And an extra-special thanks to you for introducing this book series to the forum. :dog: :blossom: :cat:

3 Likes

Hi I am new in this community although I have been studying kanji using Wani Kani for a year or so. I have reached level 20, but then I realize that the more kanji I learn, the more I forget. So, I would like to follow Koichi’s suggestion to start reading books. Can anyone explain how this book reading club really work?

Thanks before! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We pick a book and establish a schedule. Then we try to read the book according to the schedule. Every week a new discussion thread is made to discuss that week’s reading. You can ask questions about words or sentences you’re having trouble with and 9 times out of 10 someone else will have the answer. It’s a great way to learn new grammar points. With these detective stories especially there is often also some discussion about the mystery itself (and the occasional cutest cat election :upside_down_face:).

3 Likes

We are starting to read the next book on the 6th April:

🐶 わんわん探偵団 🕵 Home Thread - Doggy Detectives!

It’s actually the first book in this series, so you don’t have to be worried about having missed anything :slightly_smiling_face: there are links in that thread to different places where you can buy the book.

And yep, we basically all help each other out with understanding the text - there’ll also be a shared vocabulary sheet which we’ll populate as we go, which can make it a lot easier to decipher.

3 Likes

You can have a look at either of the Kitty Detective threads to see what it’s like to be in a very similar book club to the upcoming Doggy Detective club - links in the OP at the top of this thread just above the image of the Kitty book.

2 Likes