る verbs - where/how to learn

He doesn’t . He calls the ichidan verbs iru/eru verbs which is the only endings an ichidan verb can have.

1 Like

I learned that る and う verbs can be distinguished based on the vowel sound that comes before them: so, basically, any verbs that end with る that have い or え (short) vowel sounds before them are considered る verbs. Thus, any verbs ending with る that are preceded by あ, お or う (long) vowel sounds are normal う verbs. This doesn’t apply to EVERY single verb but it can be used for the vast, vast majority.

2 Likes

No problem! I Talked to the guy today (Discord) and he told me he was redoing all Genki 1 lessons! So keep an eye on his channel ;).

1 Like

I probably should have put “Regular” in quotes. That’s probably the one nitpick I have with JFZ is that calling them “Regular” can also be confusing.

1 Like

Whats wrong with calling the most common form of verbs regular. Do you prefer what all verbs in dictionary form ends with.

It’s not anything to do with the categorization, it’s just that the word “Regular” has regular meanings in English. (See what I did there :wink: )

That can be confusing and requires capitalization and quotes to talk about them since JFZ’s method isn’t universal.

Never heard of it! And even though you say it doesn’t apply to every verb, it’s still a major help. You know, something to hold on. Thank you!

Wow thanks a lot! That’s an extremely important video. I realise I had everything about verbs missed up. Much better now!!

I guess I might mention what solution I’ve found. I am taking a duolingo course to just get used to this and that and what not. It’s not perfect, but the futher I go, the more asseccible for me other sources become. I don’t like Cure Dolly - it creeps me out, but other tutored videos halped a lot and the number of examples on BUNPRO doesn’t seem that overwhelming any more (even though I am still not fully comfortable with the forms, but that’s something I’ve got to actually practice and learn to remember)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.