よつばと! Reading club

You might already know this, but the beginner book club had planned to do this after they finished the current book they’re doing. I know several members were dejected to have to wait up to six months to pick up the rest of Yotsuba&!. Although I know some people may not be thrilled that this is happening now, at the very least you should mention it in the Beginner Book Club Thread so that those who want to read this in a group would at least know and have an opportunity to choose to participate.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll go do that now.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who voted - the poll is now closed. We have our start date for volume 2! We will officially start on January 14 and probably keep the comfortable one chapter per week pace.

Also, thanks to @anon20839864 the thread is now a wiki. Please go ahead and add whatever resources you believe would be useful!

Looking forward learning with you all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I posted this some time ago on the other thread, but for the newcomers:

This is the video where the 2nd volume starts, but you just have to go back if you want to read the first one as well. :slight_smile: It’s really straight forward and the “host” explains everything the others don’t understand.

I usually read the chapter by myself, then watch the video to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

6 Likes

My book 1 will arrive in the mail this month. I’ll catch up someday maybe.

1 Like

I added the schedule and some resources.

About the vocabulary list, I was able to get the PDF of terms. The site below does offer it for free (in exchange for an email address), but since they did have an option to monetize it, I decided against simply uploading the PDF.

5 Likes

I would prefer manga reading as well, but not Yotsubato!. Just anything available legally in ebook format.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is great. I’m really looking forward to January 14th! Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to it too! Mainly because that’s after my exams and deadlines, but still!

5 Likes

Book(s) arrived today, so I’m all set! :blush:

5 Likes

I should probably finish book 1, eh?

2 Likes

It does seem like a good idea, yes.

But you can catch up or follow along later. We know there will be people who won’t find this until somepoint in the future, so you wouldn’t be the only one off-schedule if life gets in the way.

4 Likes

What format do you guys want to use?

EDIT: One thread per volume. (I can’t edit the poll anymore, but we’re likely to go with this.)

• One thread per chapter
  • Everything in this thread
  • Something else? (Post your idea in this thread.)
  • No opinion

0 voters

My rationale

The previous Yotsuba Volume 1 thread did all their discussion within the same thread. However, with 757 posts, I don’t think it’s particularly well-organized or easy to find what you’re looking for.

Having looked at the Kiki’s Delivery Service book club , I like the idea of having one new thread per chapter to keep the discussion more focused and organized. The downside is that we’ll need to create and visit new threads every week, but I’m happy to create them.

EDIT: 1 thread/volume has approximately the same benefits as 1/chapter, so I’m happy with that too.

3 Likes

Personally I think the Volume 1 system was fine. People gave the page number (and sometimes the panel number and person speaking) when they asked a question, so it can easily be searched for. With Kiki, this didn’t really work since people had different versions with different page numbers. I don’t think this would be a problem with Yotsuba however, especially as Yotsuba has far less text per page.

I think we should continue the volume 1 system and do 1 thread per volume. After all, if we’re reading past volume 2 we’re going to end up with a lot of threads (if we do one thread per chapter, that is).

8 Likes

I completely agree. Vol 1 has one thread, and that worked very well indeed. No need to change anything for vol.2

3 Likes

Ok, I’d like to change my vote! As long as we post page numbers, we should be ok.

I would like to keep going in the series, and as UnitedName said, that would be a TON of threads.

3 Likes

@UntitledName 1 thread per volume makes sense to me too. Thanks for bringing it up!

Sadly, I can’t change the poll anymore, so I can’t add 1 thread per volume as an option. (I’ll edit it into the text.) I think it makes sense too, so long as we can avoid having all the posts in this thread.

2 Likes

Well, I’m looking at a lot of downtime so…hopefully I can keep up this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was thinking that there could be links for each separate chapter thread at the top of this page to have a central location to find everything; I am concerned about BobaGakusei’s comment about the Vol.1 thread being 757 comments long and therefore difficult to find references.

2 Likes

+1 for one volume per thread

We should have fewer, but more detailed, questions as the volumes progress. Volume 2 isn’t much more grammatically complex than volume 1, and getting there presupposes enough comprehension of the basics, which dominated the previous discussion.

Volumes 3 and 4 have some chapters that involve domain-specific vocab, but there are only a couple of new grammatical wrinkles in each chapter.

1 Like