ゆるキャン△ Vol. 3 🏕

Page 100

I have no idea what to make of the bottom statement at all. Anyone?

You can choose to have it with or without soup - it’s got a real houtou sympathy feeling.

Or something. I slightly wonder if there’s some slight difference of meaning for “sympathy” in Japanese.

1 Like

Ok, so I guess I understood the Japanese… but I have no idea what she means by it? What is a houtou sympathy feeling? Does she mean that it’s like houtou? Can you have houtou with or without soup as well?

Possibly? Conversations they have in the Heya Camp mini-series imply that houtou can be served any way you like, but pretty much everything I’ve been able to google up say it’s a noodle soup dish, sooo…

Edit: Though, via this research, I’ve learnt who it is in the background of page 79: it’s Takeda Shingen, who is said to have invented houtou.

2 Likes

I asked on HiNative and the response I got was:

It’s so high-context. ほうとう is a kind of noodle in Yamanashi Prefecture. She feels ローメン is similar to ほうとう because you can choose soup/no soup when you order ローメン, too.

7 Likes

Everybody, brace yourself for a phone-based update.
This is not a drill.

Edit: aaaaand I replied to the wrong post. :ok_hand:

18 - ヤマノウエ

Start date: October 3rd

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

5 Likes

I admit I’m a teensy bit perplexed as to why you elected to post late rather than early, considering that Friday evening is much closer to Saturday morning than Sunday evening is…

Rin finally arrives where she’s going! Woo!

As I mentioned in passing last week, the campground that Rin finally arrives at in this chapter is the Jinbagatayama Campground, and I’m fairly sure this is the first time in the manga that they’ve actually used the place’s real name. This is also where they visited in the special “crossover” chapter of Mono which I mentioned a while back - I didn’t recognise it at the time, because the hut is shown from a different angle in each manga.

The detour that Rin was facing in order to get here looks something like this, and honestly, if it were me in that situation I would have just said “stuff it” and driven past without consulting anyone. To the Japanese, though, an insurmountable waist-high fence actually is insurmountable.

And… there’s not much else to say. Rin stays there for the rest of the chapter, Nadeshiko and Aki remain at Nadeshiko’s place.

I recall reading a review of this part one time that expressed annoyance over the fact that experienced camper Rin suddenly forgets to peg down her tent so that the narration can have a little teaching moment. I admit I find it a bit odd too - surely you need to peg down the base anyway so it doesn’t move around when you start putting up the frame.

Page 141, I wanna try that meat bun so bad…

9 Likes

The choice was between Thursday evening and Sunday.

4 Likes

I’m totally going to do that!

Some questions please meow~

Page 146

I’m not following from where does this 14 hours that Rin mentions come from? Saitou says she woke up at 3 (and then fell asleep again, I believe). Since the messages are around 20:00, that’d be like… 17 hours?

Page 144

Not completely sure I follow the 柵も端に寄ってたから part in this panel. Does this refer that since Rin approached the edge of the railing (and took the photo there?), Oogaki managed to realize it was just a forgotten railing?

Any help is appreciated!

6 Likes

Page 144:
My guess is that 柵 is the barrier and 端に寄って is referring to how it’s been pulled to one side.

Page 146:
I think she means she woke up briefly at 3 pm. At the start of Rin’s epic journey, Saito says she’s going to bed (at 6.25 in the morning). It’s way back on page 39 so I don’t blame you for forgetting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Thank you for the help!

Considering I can barely remember what I did 3 days ago, I don’t find it surprising either >.<

1 Like

That’s a good point. I think the narration would still work even if it was written while Rin works on the pegs.

Same!! I love how this manga makes simple dishes look so good…

2 Likes

Does anyone know the significance of やるな浜松っ子 on page 149?

I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt after that last road closure :stuck_out_tongue:
I definitely do stupid things I wouldn’t normally after that kind of stress…

4 Likes

I assumed this やるな was of the ‘Nice job!’ variety. Chiaki had been calling herself 梨っ子 (from 山梨), so she’s referring to Nadeshiko’s mom/family as 浜松っ子 (since they moved from 浜松). I’m not sure if there’s a connection between 浜松 and 餃子. I remember Nadeshiko used 餃子 in the hot pot she made some time ago though.

4 Likes

Aye, Hamamatsu is known for its gyoza. Guess Utsunomiya didn’t get the memo. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And we are done with volume 3! :slight_smile: Still having a great time.
But I haven’t been able to secure volume 4 yet :scream:

番外編 - へやキャン△

Start date: October 10th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

5 Likes

Whoever was looking for the explanation of マッチポップ in the vocab sheet for chapter 17, here was Belthazar’s explanation of its origin, and I added the actual meaning. Sorry for the trouble.

2 Likes

Oh, that was me. I completely forgot about that. Now I realize why nothing showed up with Yomichan or through the thread search:
It’s actually マッチポプ and not マッチポプ, which is how it was written in the vocab sheet (and in your post). :grin:

Thanks for clarifying, it’s a very curious word lol

2 Likes

This is basically the omake chapter, so… not much to say about it. Certainly no real-world connections.

I quite like the joke in the second strip. Took me far too long to figure out what ramen had to do with ボックスラーメン構造. It’s “rahmen”, German for “frame”.

Strip 4, talking is clearly not a free action when it comes to the 野クル.

Strip 9, why does Aoi deliver all her lines from behind the door? Actually, come to think of it, the final panels on pages 169 and 170 are identical.

2 Likes