やれる・出来る ? What's the difference?

Hi everyone. I was doing my usual sentence mining reviews
and I bumped into this phrase:

俺がやれること 俺に出来ること

The character of the show wondering what he can do.
The English subs it’s basically: “What can I do? What can I do?”

No clear explanation so far in my reference book. So does anyone here knows what nuance could be hidden in that line?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m no expert, but from the little I know I would guess that one is more “what is possible for me to do” (what courses of action are available) and the other is more “what am I able to do” (what’s within my skillset). I couldn’t tell you which one is which, though.

2 Likes

This seems to be a common question even in Japanese materials. But I think this answer is sufficient.

6 Likes

thanks!!

Oh. Even if derailing a bit from my usual studies, I rather like these little subtleties.
So they are pretty much the same. But there is that little nuance of やれる to be able to start doing something at least at first.
And 出来る carrying that certainty that you will actually pull it off.

Did I got it right??:thinking:

Maybe I’m mistaken here, but is やれる not the potential form of やる? That’d make it more casual than 出来る, the potential form of する.

1 Like

It is, but calling やる simple the “more casual version of する” is one of those obnoxious things that won’t go away. There are definitely times when やる is either the only option, or the preferred option.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.