ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 3 🧹

It is そう言う事 - it becomes clear when you say it out loud :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, I’m freaking late, but yesterday I finally decided to read volume 2 (I had kinda shelved it after the 3rd chapter, because I just had a bazillion other things to read anyway), so…I did. I’d love to say that I’m caught up, but I sadly do not have volume 3, and I won’t be able to go buy it physically in the near future… right now, I am looking at the price of the ebook, and I’m really hesitant about getting it. So, I guess my question is “is it worth it?”
If not, I’ll just wait until the end of the state of emergency and catch up to wherever you all are at the time :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Is it the price, the story, or reading it digitally that makes you wonder if it’s worth it?

I’m enjoying the third volume - it has the same easygoing vibe as the first two, and I like the small-town/countryside scenes. Reading on my iPad is more comfortable for my eyes than physical manga (I hate wearing my glasses so I zoom a lot :sweat_smile:)

You’re a much more experienced reader than me though, so others are definitely better placed to advise you! :blush:

3 Likes

The price, specifically. Buying it online is 4~5 times the price I would get at bookoff. It’s not that crazy anyway, but it’s annoying.

2 Likes

Wow, if you usually get this kind of stuff at 4-5 times cheaper, I’d probably just wait :slight_smile: I don’t have that luxury where I live, so spending €4 is totally worth it to me! (The ebook version is also ever so slightly cheaper than the physical version on Amazon)

7 Likes

Obligatory pricing of ebooks rage

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

5 Likes

Chapter 17: シンブンヤとクジラ

2nd May

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

No questions from me this time, I don’t think :slightly_smiling_face:

I would 100% move to live on a flying whale if that was an option available. Could there be a more appropriate place for a witch to live? I guess it would be hard for people to reach you…

Absolutely loved Chinatsu’s reference on page 124 :joy: I was really confused by トロッコ, but it all became clear once we got 大っきい岩に追いかけられる :grin:

Also had a good giggle at Makoto on the last page - おいしい大根があるんですよー

I meant to mention as well that I filled in the vocab sheet for volume 3 once I started reading, so if anybody finds it helpful it is there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I mean, presumably not if nobody was using it, but thought I might as well - might help somebody in future).

8 Likes

Yeah. I can’t imagine the wifi is too good up there. And imagine coming down to visit a combini for lunch and losing track of where it went. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Well for the latter, I’m sure you could install a little tracking beacon or something :grin: the wifi is more of a concern…

7 Likes

here’s hoping starlink or similar works out :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I haven’t started this week’s chapter, but

on starlink:

I hate that some rich guy can just junk up the sky with 12000 satellites like that without restrictions, and cause issues for ground-based astronomy :sob:

3 Likes

I’d forgotten this existed! Thanks, that saved some time on my dictionary read through.

Off topic starlink stuff

@skymaiden
I reckon that the base idea is achievable in a way that doesn’t cause problems. No one’s going to spend the money without regulation though…it sucks that they’re so vague and unenforceable.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I really liked that chapter! The flying くじら was so cool! Especially when they landed on it and あんず told a bit about their history. It felt like Laputa or even Nausicaä syle of lore

I truly enjoy reading this. Just like 惡の華 this really feels more like I am reading. Sure, there’re still a lot of vocab I have to look up and the longer sentences are often a riddle (especially when new vocab and long sentences mash together), but it feels like actual progress.

7 Likes

Right?! I got such a strong Laputa vibe from this. The only thing that bothers me is that it’s not clear whether the whales were built, or are biological - the eyes and intelligence and way they’re talked about makes them seem biological, but they also look like they’re constructed from stone. But yeah, if I were a witch, I would definitely want to study them and try to work out how people used to live on them, direct them, etc.

Also agree that it’s a really lovely reading experience.

8 Likes

Finally read this week’s chapter, that flying whale is so :heart_eyes:

@Kappa420 I have the same feeling, this series is so nice to read – it’s perfect for my level right now, so not too many dictionary lookups anymore! :blush: I’ve learnt a lot reading these

3 Likes

Welp, as with other things in the manga like the spells we’ll probably never know. :sweat_smile:

The reason is always

Yeah, it’s great. I also feel like I learn a lot more from this than when I have to anaylze almost every sentence. Some new words/concepts every other speech bubble is a lot easier to remember and learn from than something new in almost every bubble.

5 Likes

Chapter 18: フライパンとホットケーキの関係性

9th May

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

My last chapter :cry:

6 Likes

Nooo!

We’ll remember you :cry:

3 Likes

I know :pensive: the thing is that even if I changed my mind (which is very tempting!), I can’t buy physical books from Japan right now - and eBooks are out for many reasons. I might very well try to catch up later in the year :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes