ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 3 🧹

Okay, outrageous double post!

I can feel a long-winded history lesson on hotcakes looming on the horizon, so I’m going to leave it there for this evening, haha :grin:

Already have a couple of questions though:

Page 129 - the inevitable “what is their dad saying?” - めやぐ ?

Page 135 - あのくじらなんかも一人で世界中回って何十回って見に行って研究してんだから

My brain. Is this saying that Kenny has by himself, ten times, visited several places all around the world to see those flying whales to research them? I’m guessing the 何十回 adds a certain ambiguity to the number of times (so it’s about ten times, rather than definitely exactly ten times), and I just learnt that usage of 回る meaning “to visit several places”, so that’s nice. Hadn’t come across that before.

Why って after 何十回 specifically?

Page 141 - ふたして焼いたらかんせー

I’m guessing this is something like “if you fry it twice”, but is that right? You can write 2 as ふた, and use it as a する verb?

3 Likes

Page 129:
No idea what he is saying :upside_down_face:

Page 135:

何十 means “several tens”, so in English one would probably say “dozens of times”.
Other than that, I think you got it right.

But I don’t know about って… maybe it adds something like “so to speak” to it? “dozens of times, so to speak” - to make it even more vague?

Page 141:

I read this as 蓋して - “when you cover it” or the like, because first he talks about making the donut, and then he flips the whole thing, so the bottom becomes the lid, so to speak.
(But I’m just guessing here…)

8 Likes

I’m assuming it’s an abbreviation, such as for という, but I’m not sure what exactly it should be.

I reckon it’s something like that. Ι get a “dozens of time, you could say” vibe.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that, I’m assuming that too.

2 Likes

From goo

めやぐだ (青森の方言)
感謝の言葉。ありがとう。

So, it’s a expression of gratitude, basically “Thank You” in his dialect.

8 Likes

Thanks all!

Ah, I saw that meaning of ふた but didn’t make the connection with “covering” the mixture.

Page 144 - 強いて違いがあるとしたら厚さくらいで

Jisho gives the meaning of 強いて as “by force”, but I really don’t see how that fits in context?

Page 146 - うち見つけにくいんで

I get what she’s saying, obviously, but what exactly does うち見つける mean? I found うち見る… is it closer to “see at a glance”? As in, not just glance at, but find by glancing?

3 Likes

I think…

2 Likes

I totally forgot it was her cafe they were talking about

2 Likes

I tried a web search for 「強いて違いが」, to see what I could find, and results included:

• 強いて違いがあったとすれば
  • 強いて違いがあるとしたら (came up often; same as used in the manga)
  • 強いて違いがあるとするなら
  • 強いて違いがあるとするならば
  • 強いて違いがあるとすれば (I think this one came up most)
  • 強いて違いがあると言えば
  • 強いて違いがあるなら
  • 強いて違いがあるならば
  • 強いて違いがあるのは (a little different from all the others)
  • 強いて違いがわかるとしたら
  • 強いて違いが在るとすれば

I think I see a pattern!

Looking at the various contexts these were used it, I get the gist of “If I were compelled to (say, indicate, provide) a difference…” But in English, rather than “If I were compelled to …”, we normally say “If I had to …” (Note that “to compel” is related to “to force”, and should be listed in Jisho as well.)

So, back to the line in the manga, I could be wrong, but I’m going with:

“If there has to be a difference, it’d be in the thickness.”

9 Likes

Nice detective work, thanks. I had only looked up 強いて, but 強いる does mean: “to force; to compel; to press”. I was thrown by 強いて meaning only “by force” and the separation from the conditional.

1 Like

茜さんはやっぱりダメな大人。。。

5 Likes

I can’t find it anymore, from one of the ealier threads - how much manga does the anime cover? I’m thinking about watching it for listening practice.

Isn’t the around the world part of the sentence refering to the whale as in “the whale, that’s circling around the world”? And Kenny gone off to investigate dozens of times.

The って really tripping me up even more so than usual.

1 Like

I think the あのくじらなんかも is saying “other than/as well as that whale” (not entirely sure which, if I’m honest)

Hm, I can’t find it either. (Was thinking of it just this morning.) But seen said elsewhere:

1 Like

I belatedly decided to read this book (couldn’t vote in any of the earlier polls :sob:) just before you got to the last chapter. So here I am, late to the party. :tada:
Hoping to join you more regularly for the next volume.

5 Likes

Victory Poll!

:tada:

• I finished volume 3 :grin:
  • I’m still reading but plan to finish it :triumph:
  • I just like to clicky clicky :point_up_2:

0 voters

4 Likes

On which note… why has Makoto become a road bike enthusiast on page 159 :sweat_smile:

Oh I don’t see that on my ebook version!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, now I seem like a crazy person. All I know is, the picture is available in colour on a hankerchief :joy:

Flying Witch Bike

as a sport, it doesn’t seem particularly well suited to somebody with a terrible sense of direction…

7 Likes

Heh, the bike is an Ishiduka Flying Witch.

3 Likes