にゃんにゃん - Kitty Detectives - Vol. 1

I’m in! Bought on JP ibook store. I’ve been struggling my way through shoujo manga alone lately, so it will be fun to read with a group!

4 Likes

Kenkyuusha dictionary says that 全国学校図書館協議会 is Japan School Library Association (JSLA).
Here’s their site: http://www.j-sla.or.jp/

5 Likes

Happy to be #128 (134-6) on the list :grin:

1 Like

Can we translate the front inside flap? I don’t understand the last sentence.

わたしの名前は、はなえ。

My name is Hanae.

子どもの本のお店「トムソーヤー」の女主人です。

I’m the owner of a children’s bookstore called Tom Sawyer.

黒星警部にたのまれていつのまにやら探偵のまねごとをすることになってしまいました。

(I?) call(ed?) for the black spot(??) police inspector and before you know it a sham(?) detective…

Yeah no problem! I’ve been waiting since the beginning so I totally get it. I thought we’d skip the flap and start with chapter 1, so I wasn’t sure exactly when to ask. But I’ll wait

1 Like

No, no, it’s me being silly! I deleted my comment as soon as I posted it. I’ll hold off till the official start date on Sunday, as that is when everyone knows it will start, but if people want to get going right now, then I completely understand because the long wait to start this book has been killing me too!

黒星 seems the name of the inspector :wink:
I’ll let you go over the page presenting the characters :slight_smile:

1 Like

The day is nigh upon us!!

2 Likes

By the way @marcusp, if we all can’t translate some of the sentences here and there, tell you wife that there are over hundred people around the world who are counting on her! :grinning:

4 Likes

LOL! Brilliant! So it’s not like there’s any pressure then! :grin:

5 Likes

You can also take pictures or type stuff out. As long as the lack of context isn’t a problem, it looks like a few more-experienced readers are gonna be around to help.

1 Like

I was just jokin’ around with marcusp. Yea, there will be plenty of people who can translate so it shouldn’t be any problem (hopefully).

1 Like

got it! I am sure it’s because you were all rooting for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Book shipped today! Says it should arrive between Tuesday-Thursday. Hopefully it’s early!

2 Likes

Got my digital copy on Bookwalker, ready to not understand anything! :smiley:

JK, I think we’ll all be able to work together to figure it all out. I think this will help motivate me to get back to grammar (which I’ve completely neglected for a little while).

6 Likes

Amazing I got it today! Much faster then expected!

3 Likes

I am using the same book and just finished chapter 19!

1 Like

My book finally arrived yesterday! I haven’t tried reading it yet, but I did want to get a handle on how much of the kanji would be familiar, and how much would be new. So naturally, I put some stats together!

There are 150 unique kanji in the first story. As you can see from the histogram below, most of them are found in the first 10 levels of WaniKani.

If you’re used to using WK Stats, you might find the following breakdown by level useful. It’s the percentage of kanji you should know based on your current level.

Naturally, this doesn’t mean that you’ll recognize the vocabulary, but if you were on the fence about participating, just know that by the time you reach level 8, you’ll already know half of the kanji in the first story. Not too bad!

27 Likes

Nice analysis!

Well, recognizing a bit more than half the kanji is a start, I guess :smile:

5 Likes

Wow, that is great! Thank you for doing that!

Edit: Just linked to your wonderful graphs in the opening post! Thank you so much!

3 Likes