にゃんにゃん - Kitty Detectives - Vol. 1

Oh, impressive. How’d you generate the raw data to crunch? Wondering how easy it’d be to do something similar for the two book clubs I’m currently involved in.

4 Likes

First, I downloaded an Anki deck of all WaniKani kanji and vocabulary. It helpfully lists out the level for each item. After some data wrangling, I managed to get it into Excel.

Next, I simply paged through the first story of the book and found every kanji, typing it into another tab in the spreadsheet. The furigana made it pretty easy. I skipped ones I knew I had seen in the story before, but erred on the side of duplicates. When I was done, I just ran a “Remove Duplicates” so that I had unique kanji.

A quick VLOOKUP loaded the level next to the kanji, and then I just made a histogram on the data by level number.

I’d be happy to supply the workbook with the kanji and vocab by level.

10 Likes

Just twenty-four hours to go! :joy_cat:

1 Like

Just got my book in today!

2 Likes

That makes me think: what timezone are we talking about?

4 Likes

The Beginner Bookclub typically schedules around JST/JDT, so that probably carried over to this group.

3 Likes

やった! やった!
giphy

3 Likes

Aha, this is the step I was asking about. So you did it manually…

I actually already have a list of all the kanji by WaniKani level (I made it for my Big Japan Place Names kanji thingy) - not the vocab, though, but I could easily apply the same steps I used to make the kanji list. :slightly_smiling_face:

Really like the look of the art and layout of the book so I reckon I might try and get at this, will likely have to grab an e-book at this point.

Boy do I regret searching for ‘pussy detective’ though :frowning:

5 Likes

Yep, brute force. Or transcription practice, depending on your point of view. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This is so great, thank you so much! :scream:

3 Likes

This is most helpful and highly motivating in a “will be regularly doing new lessons and reviews so I can grab some more percentage points as we go” kind of way - thank you so much, @ShawnPCooke :smile::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

Gah! Timezones! I just didn’t think about that. Good thing I saw this, or I’d be a day behind, before even starting!

1 Like

I hope you guys dont mind a lot of questions, or at least that I have the google doc up 100% of the time. Im level 3 now but still finishing up the last few lvl 2 lessons. So… less than 20% through the lvl 10 “requirement”

5 Likes

don’t worry, @PomfPomf, we are quite a few WK youngster’s in this bookclub by now - let’s help each other out and ask a lot of stuff. I won’t feel stupid if you don’t, deal? :wink:

5 Likes

By the time we get to the second story, you should know a lot more kanji.

4 Likes

I’m working on level 2 still and I know there’s at least 2 more in here right now around the same level besides you and me, prob many more.

Tbh it’s gonna be real hard, but I suspect once we get a few of the major ones down it won’t be as bad as we fear.

That’s my hope at least lol

3 Likes

Before we start later on: What’s our page count? Like in the vocab spreadsheet where characters are described on p.4 (my bookwalker e.g. version starts with the cover as page 1 which makes character description page 6, so just want to make sure)? And do we start with the cover/table of contents or jump right into the story?

Either way I’m super-excited by now :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh and to all those who like me created a bookwalker account for this: remember to use your bonus coins before the end of July if you haven’t already (used mine for part 2 of this series, so I only had to pay around 4€) :wink:

2 Likes

yay my book has also been shipped and is estimated to arrive on thursday. A bit late, but no problem to finish the chapter before the next chapter will start :wink:

2 Likes

So just curious; would it be a good idea to move things into a Slack or Discord channel? It might be easier to stay a little more organized using one of those things.

Of course, this forum works as well, but I’m just throwing some suggestions out there.

2 Likes