🐱 にゃんにゃん探偵団 🕵️‍♀ Kitty Detectives 2 Home Thread!

Man…I want to participate but the book on some sites are in back order or sold out :confused:

Are you able / willing to read an eBook? That might be a way of doing it. Otherwise, we’ll be starting story two on December the 9th, so if you just planned to pick it up from there you’d have a while for it to arrive…??

I didn’t see anything suggesting it was out on Amazon :thinking: but I’m not very good at parsing JP websites for information :sweat_smile:

I learn/ understand things better with a physical copy and Unfortunately I don’t have an amazon account :pensive: maybe I can find a friend who does and figure out the Jp side of it to get the book. Hopefully ill figure something out to get the book in time for story two lol

1 Like

CD Japan has it on back order, but I have found they tend to overestimate the time it will take so I would hope you’d have it in plenty of time for the next case.

1 Like

Yeah I went on there before but since you mentioned that they usually underestimate the time I’ll try them again. Thank you! I hope I can get them on time

1 Like

Good luck, would be lovely to have you join us!

Just for future information, you have to have a separate Amazon account for each ‘instance’ of Amazon anyway, so if you don’t want to create one for your home country you could perhaps still create a JP one :slightly_smiling_face: I try to buy from CD Japan if at all possible myself though.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

just wanted to say that the past two week were a little bit crazy for me and I didn’t have the time to read along. Planning to catch up on the weekend.
Only three weeks in and I fell behind already :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t forget the vocab sheet is there to help you! People seem to have found the last week’s reading not too bad, so hopefully catching up shouldn’t be too hard. Even if it proves tough we’ll be having a short break in a few weeks and a fresh start for story two :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this - I totally forgot about the vocab sheet :see_no_evil:
It was really helpful for catching up on week 2 and I’ll definitely use it more from now on :smiley:

2 Likes

Since I apparently blacked out when this thread was first created, I’m just gonna leave it here in case people find it helpful:

(not really for reading through, unless you’re the kind of person who reads dictionaries, but might be helpful as a reference)

3 Likes

I’ve read a dictionary. And I’m pretty sure I read that thread, too - I’ve got the second reply. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve seen a bit of back and forth between seanblue and neicul in the Kitsun thread that has me wondering if it might be better to use flo.flo for vocab for the book series…(?) The point was about Kitsun not automatically recognising pre-learned vocab, something which apparently flo.flo can do. Since you appear to be participating in a whole lot of book clubs, Reading Radish さん, do you know something more about flo.flo? Have you used it? Cheers!

Edit: Was just going to tag Christopher, but he’s already typing…

1 Like

Here’s the thing to know about flo.flo: it’s based on inputting a text file of an e-book. Since にゃんにゃん is images, it’s not usable.

Now, if we were to transcribe the book and check over it to ensure there are no typos, maybe we can convince flo.flo’s owner to use that? (But you’d want to ask in advance of transcribing.)

It comes down to whether you want a deck that a community can improve, or a deck that links in with a shared vocabulary deck. (Both have their pros.)

1 Like

I’m thinking that eventually all the books in the series will have been read by book clubs (I’ve just ordered the わんわん books yesterday) and there will be a lot of overlap of vocab, so it would be nice to not have to manually hibernate the same vocab over and over for each book’s vocab deck.

I didn’t realise how the vocab was inputted in flo.flo though, so thanks for explaining that.

1 Like

I really love FloFlo, actually :slight_smile: but it sounds like it wouldn’t be usable if there’s no text file. It also automatically matches words with definitions, which is fine, but children’s books like this have a lot of hiragana words with multiple possible matches, so Kitsun might be better from that point of view too.

Perhaps if we made more decks we could assign them a set order and only include cards with new words for each book… The issue is that we’ve started with the cat books, which aren’t the first in the series, so I’m not sure what order we should go for!

You don’t say… :eyes:

3 Likes

Regarding hibernating cards, it is much easier to do since the recent revamp, so maybe it’s not the issue I’m making it out to be.

Will you be able to share the template you’re making up for the cards for this book? If so, then at least someone else :tangerine: can do the other cat book vocab sometime…

Edit: I’ve just read that neicul is looking at adding a feature to automatically remove known cards in Kitsun, so that will be even better than bulk card-hibernation.

1 Like

Thanks! That is super helpful

2 Likes

This week we are reading the first half of the resolution for story one :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I just ordered my copy of にゃんにゃん, hopefully it’ll arrive in time for me to be able to jump in when Story Two starts :blush:

Also, allow me to shamelessly advertise my suggestion for the next book to read: なぜ?どうして? vol. 2!. (Tentatively starting in February 2020).

3 Likes

We’ve reached the final part of Story One!

Don’t forget that next week we’ll be taking a break :wink:

8 Likes