につれて、にしたがって、とともに、and にともなって

I’ve have researched these 4 grammar points over and over and each time, my understanding of them changes more and more to the point of not really knowing what’s real or not anymore.

につれて and にしたがって are not as bad, I think I understand them but I still need to make sure:

につれて and にしたがって are both for gradual changes that happen simultaneously but the differences are as follows:

1. につれて can’t have volition, while にしたがって can.
  2. につれて’s phrases are both continuous changes, while にしたがって’s don’t necessarily need to be both continuous. Meaning, にしたがって can have one phrase that is a non-continuous change and the other can be continuous change.

If I missed any differences, please let me know!

For とともに and にともなって, I’m too afraid to say what I know about them and their differences to the grammar points above since my knowledge on them is quite shaky. Can someone please please save me from this hellish grammar hole I’ve fallen in?

exhausted-anime-gif-10

3 Likes

I’m sure if you tried to actually put into words a lot of the English grammar nuances you understand already, they would sound like legal word salad. But you learned them from repeated exposure to various usages.

I would say, go out and find examples of them. Get exposed to them. These English-language definitions are a nice reference if you have to confirm something, but when you’re just reading you’re just going to feel the meaning.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.