ているところ vs. ているあいだに vs. ながら

While, while and… while.

What’s up with these?

1 Like

ているところ for one doesn’t imply a simultaneous action taking place. It simply means that something is at that moment taking place (maybe even just started, but not sure if that is always the case)

5 Likes

As for the other ones, ~ている間に indicates that an action happens within the time frame of another action, not necessarily at the same time:

歯を磨いている間に、ラヂオがついた。
While brushing my teeth the radio turned on.

~ながら however indicates that 2 actions are happening at the same time:

歯を磨きながら、ラヂオを聞きます。
I listen to the radio while brushing my teeth.

5 Likes

Cool, makes sense.

Although, I’m having trouble grasping @Saida way of explaining ているところ. Care to help?

ところ with a nonpast verb means that someone/something was just about to do something, just began to do something, or was in the middle of something when another thing occurred, and it’s implied that this other thing interrupted the original action. So you could think of something like テレビを見ているところ、電気が切った。 “I was watching TV when the power went out”.

Whereas 間に means that the second action occurred at some point during the other action, such as in PlumeTone’s example (the radio turned on, but that didn’t necessarily interfere with the teeth brushing)

And ながら indicates that the two actions occurred/are occurring/etc. simultaneously throughout all or most of their durations, like eating while watching TV.

4 Likes

~ているところ simply indicates that you are/were currently doing an action, it’s essentially the same as ~ている but emphasises more on the time, you’re currently doing it now, it’s an ongoing action.

A: 何をしている?
B: バスを乗っているところだ // バスを乗っている

2 Likes

Thanks, all. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am not a Japanese myself but I learned at school that the ながら is only if a (unique) person does 2 actions (in opposition to non-action verbs) at the same time. The subject of the two verbs should be the same person. So for example “The radio was on while I was brushing my teeth.” can’t be with ながら for 2 reasons: because the subject is different (“the radio” subject isn’t even a person) and “is on” isn’t an action. Correct me if I am wrong though :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.