しろくまカフェ: Week 2 Discussion (Chapters 3 and 4)

Thanks. But why ‘because’? I think you may be confusing のに with ので.
I prefer a translation as ‘but…’, which has a closer meaning to ‘although’.

Yes that makes sense.

moving on
panel 3 page 13:

• shirukuma: 雪がいっぱい降ったから
    雪 - snow
    いっぱい - full of / a lot of
    降った → 降る - to fall
    から - because
    I would say “because/since it’s full of snow” but that would be “雪がいっぱいなら”, the existence of the verb 降る confuses me. but let me go with this translation for the time being (until someone gives a better one)
    Translation: Since a lot of snow fell…
    Translation: Since it snowed a lot…
  • panda: あ
    Translation: Ah!

panel 4 page 13:

• panda: スノボだね、ス。ノ。ボ
    スノボ: snowboarding
    ね: seek listener’s agreement/confirmation
    Translation: snowboarding right? snow . board . ing
    he spells it out letter by letter in Japaneses, but i feel it’s more natural to just emphasize the syllables in English
2 Likes

In this context, I would translate it as “a lot” - it is an adverb here that modifies the verb coming after it.

Can you specify what exactly confuses you here? This verb is always used with rain, snow and those things.

So in total, you were spot-on with your translation imho:

2 Likes

It’s just that i really wanted the translation to be “since it’s full of snow” or “since there is a lot of snow”, but maybe “since a lot of snow fell” is natural in japanese

Ah, now I get it! Yes, I think that is the natural way to express it in Japanese.

Damnit, already week 2 and i‘m still at chapter 1 :fearful:

I came to my desk in work this morning and saw this on the shelf above it >.>

I feel so called out >.>

9 Likes

Maybe ‘Since it snowed a lot’ is more natural. The way you say ‘to snow’ in Japanese is 雪が降る.

2 Likes

Finished both chapters and added some missing vocab to the google spreads. :slight_smile:

There were only three or four things I’m not really getting:

I know 桐 is “paulownia tree” and that it’s a pun, but I don’t see how ダンス is related to a drawer…?

Here I don’t understand what のる this is? Are we talking about 乗る ?

And lastly the font here makes me wonder whether this is これそ or not and if so, what does that mean?

1 Like

It looked like これぞ to me, but I have no idea what that would mean either.

Yomichan tells me that これぞ is “this (emphatic)” when I mouseover it just now?

1 Like

Oh yeah makes sense, it’s also on jisho. I would have guessed that’s what it meant anyway but that bit behind これ confused me since I never saw it like that before.

Added it to the spread.

I like that!

The chest of drawers is タンス, rendaku’d.

乗る also means “getting into the swing of things”.

Though, I’m honestly curious as to exactly what costumes they’re wearing in this panel. They kinda ring a bell, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

4 Likes

Ahh, cheers for clearing those up! :+1:t2:

Same, though the leek (if it’s supposed to be one) makes me think of that really old video

3 Likes

Pretty sure those are sticks with tassels.

1 Like

Looks like wigs of this kind:

The sticks are to keep them from falling I’d guess?
I’m not actually sure how these are called.

The volvo and golgo 13 joke in chapter 3 was the first one I really understood while reading. I don’t know why it made me laugh so hard though lol.

6 Likes

With the sticks, wig, and sparkly(?) kimonos, it really reminded me of this:

Edit: Also, thanks to whoever put the Jenkka link in the vocab sheet - I had never heard of that kind of dance before!

7 Likes

That was me. I was trying to figure out what the heck it was and I sure didn’t expect Finnish folk dancing!

This is… old…?
Orz

Thank you for this! I couldn’t track down the exact vocabulary when I read this and it was really frustrating.

5 Likes