しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

Well, same here.
I thought I would be able to keep up the pace, but I had not enough free time.
Plus, the book is still too hard for me, I think, and I will dedicate my small amount of free time on WK reviews and grammar lessons with Genki for the moment.

Just remember that the threads are still gonna be there and you can ask questions any time you want and whenever you start reading the books:3 :yellow_heart:

Also feel free to jump to new chapters for Shirokuma if you want to participate, because they are not really connected at all /o/

You all are always welcome at the book clubs :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

Yes, thanks!
That’s one of the big advantages of doing that on a forum. We can take any chapter at any time and see useful comments!

1 Like

In honor of all three characters being (properly) introduced as of Chapter 17 this past week, I’ve scanned in the papercrafts in the back and put 'em up on imgur for easy printing. I put together a set for my desk and so can you!

Panda, Polar Bear, and Grizzly papercrafts album

9 Likes

I’m now tempted to use work’s industrial printer for this…

If you do, I think you are obligated to post photos.

1 Like

Try and stop me :3

2 Likes

Squeeee! Those are sooo cute! Thanks

So… are we choosing a new book?

I made a poll that I wanted to make for a long time in the recent chapter thread about the break :thinking: Chii’s gonna last for 7 weeks, so we have at least 9 weeks before the next book, so suggestions are welcome now I think \o/

Maybe we should change the name of the thread to let people know that we’re looking for new books? Of the absolute beginner club thread I mean:3

5 Likes

I went ahead and just finished the entire second volume (old version) today, because I had realised I had too many ‘current’ books in GoodReads.

I’ll probably read the third one once I’ve cut down more of the ‘currently reading’ list.

2 Likes

Hello, just started studying japanese again so i am lvl 1 on wanikani.
A bit late to join this reading session i assume? :slight_smile:
Should i study this book (polar bear 1) on my own and wait for the next session?

You can still ask questions here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We finished reading this book a few weeks ago. You could still read it if you want and use the threads and vocab sheet to help you. There were fairly complete translations for the first few chapters. If you post a new question on the threads there is a good chance someone will answer.

Or if you click here you can go to the home thread for this book club. This will give you links for the book we are reading now (Chi’s Sweet Home) and the 2 books we are planning to read from mid August.

2 Likes

Awesome !
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I have to admit i was feeling a bit bummed by having to learn for months without being able to read anything.

This will motivate me way more !

Le sam. 13 juil. 2019 à 17:38, Micki via WaniKani Community wanikani_community@discoursemail.com a écrit :

2 Likes

That’s why a lot of us are here! It’s much more fun reading some native Japanese material. There are definitely challenges in getting started but this club makes it a lot easier. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m interested in reading the Shirokuma cafe mangas but I have a question, I was having a really hard time finding the complete first edition or special edition (the one that forms a picture) and I read that the author changed to a different editorial and now the manga is called Shirokuma Cafe Today’s Special 1. Are this mangas a sequel or do they start again from the beginning? should I try and find the old ones and start reading those before reading today’s special series?
This is the picture of the books I’m asking about

I just checked a preview of chapter one of Today’s Special, and it’s a continuation of the series. It is not the first Shirokuma Cafe that was read in the club.

For the curious, you can view chapter one here: しろくまカフェ today’s special 1 | ヒガアロハ | 無料漫画(マンガ)ならコミックシーモア (Click on the white 立ち読み button on the right.)

I expect there’s no harm in jumping into Today’s Special, due to the slice-of-life nature of the series. It’s focused more on jokes than any kind of running storyline.

1 Like

Well, except that you’d lose the benefit of the book club’s collected knowledge…

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I already ordered the first manga in the today’s special series but I’ll try and get the others to have the whole collection and read them all. You are very kind. 本当に有り難う御座います。