おじさまと猫 (Ojisama to Neko) Volume 4 Discussion

Vocabulary List

おじさまと猫 Vocab Sheet

Editing Guide - How to contribute to this vocab sheet
The more people contribute to the vocab sheet the more helpful it is for everyone, so please don’t feel shy about adding to it! Please read these guidelines carefully before you get stuck.

Shoutout to @Sarabrina for starting this book club and @frayderike for starting us off with such a lovely vocab sheet.

Chapter and Club Links

Original Club Thread

Start from the beginning : Chapter 1 Thread

Previous thread : Volume 3

Next thread : tba

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble…
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I have already finished this part
  • I’m no longer reading this book

0 voters

1 Like

Please feel free to request a particular schedule.

@ChristopherFritz @noko @fray

I almost considered started this today, but went with something else for my daily manga reading.

I did manage to read through the table of contents with minimal look-ups (まみれ, ひとりじめ, 傷, だらけ). Since I almost exclusively read material with furigana, it’s always a nice victory to be able to read something without it (even if I’m still a bit slow at it).

As has come to be expected, chapter lengths vary wildly:

Num Title Pages
39 心はいつも猫まみれ 12
40 優しい声 16
おじいさまは猫先輩 2
君が呼ぶから 10
41 ようこそ猫友 8
42 君が生まれた日 16
幸せのひとりじめ 9
ふくおじ おさかな攻防戦 9
43 陽の下の夜想曲 20
44 綺麗な夜 12
45 私の親友 18
46 最高のライバル 17
47 傷だらけのメインクーン 10

I’m not yet certain what the best scheduling will be.

My initial focus was going to be on looking over the character profile pages, because I got completely lost between who some of the various characters are. But then the e-book decided to do this:

Screenshot_20210719_212631

I could understand if it was a digital release of a manga that originally came out in 1996, but how can a 2020 release of a recent series delivery small, fuzzy furigana? Clearly there is a cat-hater who ended up having to make the character pages, and they decided to try to sabotage the project. No other explanation could possibly fit.

1 Like

I’ll try to propose a schedule by the end of this week then lol.

I don’t get that digital quality either as I’m certain Ojisama to Neko is made digitally and not on paper given its origin.

Also, what page is that? I can clarify at least

I can recognize the kanji on there well enough to put the word into a dictionary (幼少期(ようしょうき)), but the pages with the fuzzy furigana are the two character profile pages immediately after the table of contents.

I’ll tackle it another day, but just looking over it briefly has helped me get to know who’s who. It didn’t help that we had a flashback of our energetic young 森山(もりやま) and his brother, and I originally mistook that it was supposed to be a flashback of our おじいさま as a child. And then I later confused the brother in that flashback with our rival pianist as I was trying to recall who’s who. Fuzzy furigana aside, the character profile pages have already been a real life-saver on me and my really bad memory!

1 Like

I think it should be fine for me to reshare those pages here as we are in good faith using it strictly as an educational tool. No point in forcing you to unnecessarily strain your eyes.

1 Like

Mostly I think I can recognize the kanji, but any clearer images for the character profiles certainly wouldn’t hurt.

I mean, sure, I’m on a computer and therefore can zoom in on it to help see it better, but…

Screenshot_20210719_230215

(I know this one is 母親(ははおや)(ねこ), but if I didn’t know it, zooming in wouldn’t have helped!)

1 Like

oh egads, I know that struggle from reading comics on Twitter. When the zoom is negatively helpful…

I’ll share the pages later tonight

1 Like

These were a bit harder to take than I expected :flushed:

2 Likes

Please let me know if anything’s too difficult to read!

These are great. Thanks!

I’ll probably get to reading through them later this week, but I can already tell that they’ve got maximum readability in them.

It almost makes me want a physical copy of the manga, except at my getting-old age, it’d probably be too blurry to read!

1 Like

I started volume 2 a few days ago, I’m reading about 1-2 chapters a day. So it might take me 2-3 more weeks to catch up to volume 4. But go ahead with whatever schedule you feel comfortable with.

1 Like

I hope you don’t mind me directly editing this.

Usually we do ~15 pages a week.

Week Date Chapter Pages
Week 1 Aug 16 39 心はいつも猫まみれ 12
Week 2 Aug 23 40 優しい声 and おじいさまは猫先輩 18
Week 3 Aug 30 君が呼ぶから and 41 ようこそ猫友 18
Week 4 Sep 6 42 君が生まれた日 16
Week 5 Sep 13 幸せのひとりじめ and ふくおじ おさかな攻防戦 18
Week 6 Sep 20 43 陽の下の夜想曲 THROUGH PAGE 103 (aka the one with the image of a certain lady) 16
Week 7 Sep 27 FINISH 43 陽の下の夜想曲 and 44 綺麗な夜 16
Week 8 Oct 4 45 私の親友 18
Week 9 Oct 11 46 最高のライバル 17
Week 10 Oct 18 47 傷だらけのメインクーン 10
break before vol 5 start
Then a rest of whatever length before volume 5.

What are your thoughts @ChristopherFritz and @fray ?
I didn’t read like I thought I would during my vacation, so I still have about 50 pages of volume 3 left to read yet. I’m fine with starting later or catching up. Since we’re a small club, I think it’d be fine to do it either way.

1 Like

The schedule looks good to me.

I have volume 4 ready to be read, but I also have 12 other manga I’m currently reading, so there’s no rush for me.

1 Like

13 days ago:

Shall we start Monday of next week?
@fray @ChristopherFritz

Any particular opinions in either direction, @ChristopherFritz or @fray ?

I just noticed that whenever I get @'d on this thread, and don’t check it, it no longer appears on my list of unread posts.

I’m fine with any start date. I have volume 4 waiting to be read at any time, so I can begin even as early as today =)

1 Like

That’s funky. I wonder if we should tag the mods about that :thinking:

Let’s start today then. It looks like Fray hasn’t revisited the forums since their post anyway.

edited to add dates